View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM

MTU Certified External Drive

Upon receipt and inability to get full function I did review the sales comments and I realize I had been out of the loop for awhile and didn't realize before ordering that MTU was not using plextor anymore. That was my bad. I posted just to make others aware that they were unlikely to get the DVD portion to work. As for karaoke I do use only MTU products.

I did look into the idea of updating the firmware but they caution that if the drive is OEM not to use their firmware updates as it could permanently damage the drive. There is a caution to get updates only from the dealer where you bought the drive. The main problem seems to be that this is not really a NEC drive, nor a Sony drive but is a hybrid manufactured by a joint venture company called Optiarc and I have not found this company or the drive id (AD-7170A) on any drive lists for DVD burning software and it does not work with my NTI software.

I also tried to do a support ticket and have a web-mail instead because when I go to the support ticket site and click what support I want the NEXT nothing happens. It does not go to the next screen so I can describe the problem I am having. I hope to get an answer on that problem soon.

Again, I have no problem with this drive on MTU products, just unhappy that it can't serve all my needs as my old deceased Plextor did. Besides music I am big into pictures and DVD burning. I can't go out and purchase all the available DVD burning programs to test it but if anyone already knows of a program that works I would be willing to buy it and use this drive.

Any solutions will be gladly appreciated, and I thank both Dale and George for writing.