View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Honor Roll

Re: The Lawsuits Have Started In Virgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
But Mark what "evidence" do they have? Someone in there employee went to the person's show, saw asinger singing a Sound Choice song, photographed the entry in the Songbook and with that they sue?? They have tried this before and had it thrown out of court for lack of evidence.
They are desperate and trying to get people to give them money by blackmail period.
You are absolutely right, but lack of evidence doesn't stop people from filing lawsuits. I have been sued several times in my 20+ years in the bar business. All but one of them were absolutely ludicrous. Even that one was a pretty big stretch. I have defended myself on all these occasions, but I wouldn't recommend that for most people. I have been lucky enough to get all of them in small claims where it is less formal.

In the best case scenario, you have to spend at least a couple hundred on a lawyer to get this thrown out. Who has to pay for this? You do. Even in my cases I had to spend a lot of my valuable time getting all my ducks in a row. The worst thing you can do is come to court unprepared. In business, you weigh the risk/reward for all your decisions. When you decide to file suit against someone there is very little, if any, risk involved in suing someone. The rewards, on the other hand, can be great.

There are people out there that make their living suing people. I used to work for a property management company that did low income housing. We were sued by a "consulting" firm under the Americans with Disabilities Act. When it was all said and done, we made no changes to the accessible unit for the wheelchair bound tenant because she was happy to start with and didn't want anything changed. The "consulting" firm made $25k to continue their "advocacy" for the disabled.