View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM

Smile New Year's Eve

Happy 2008, all!

I had to turn down 3 gigs that would have paid more becuz I was already committed at my usual kj gig & at only $25 more than the usual Fri. night pay. Everybody around my small town waits until a week or 2 before to try to book you. If you aren't already booked, you can get up to $250 for NYE from those last-minute bookings., but who wants to wait til the last minute and take a chance?

A normal 4-5 hr gig around here (rural central IL) nets about $125-$150. A wedding/special gig is anywhere from $250-$500, depending on how many bells and whistles your equipment includes (lights, smoke, etc.) and how long the gig lasts. I'm considering raising my price - I get $125 and free food/drinks now, but I don't drink and rarely eat while I'm at a gig. Not sure if a raise in fees will be accepted at my normal gig, but not sure if I mind not having to go there anymore, if you catch my drift. What's normal for your area?

I have another question too, if you don't mind. Do you guys do your own advertising, or do the hosts do that for you? My reg. gig doesn't believe in advertising - for anything - beyond my sign on the door. They also keep changing the dates on me, so it wouldn't do me any good to put an ad in the paper and then have them change it on me. They aren't very committed, but I have a good-sized following, so they don't want to give up the money I bring in. I don't want to sink alot of money in a once-a-month gig for them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kathi