View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:28 PM

When you start a new place, lay the rules down fast and hard. As Lonman said, stop it as soon as it happens. Be polite but firm. No one on stage except who the singers wants up there. Don't put up with folks heckling the singer regardless how bad they are. You take up for your singers and they will take up for you. I tell my hecklers the standard line. "If you don't like what is being sung, then pick something out you would like to sing. If you can't sing, then find someone who will sing your song. If you're still not happy and can't keep your mouth shut; we've got a front door and a back door. Take your pick."

That usually gets a thunderous roar of approval from the crowd. The offender seems to always then do one of two things: shuts up and behaves or gets up and leaves.

The bartenders and I watch each others back. If I say someone has to go they are told to leave by management. I'm fortunate in that regard. When they know the KJ or 'Host" has the power to order you to leave they seem to pay a little more attention to the rules.

Keep your rules fair and enforce them. I don't have my "rules" written in my book. Maybe I should. But I tend to give everyone the benefit of doubt that they know the golden rule and I expect then to act and treat others like I would. I guess I feel by putting rules in the book it sends a message that I expect there to be problems. I personally have just found it easier to enforce them as they happen. Doesn't take long and they seem to learn.

I have found drunks to be a lot like kids. They respect strict consistent "punishment" as long as it's fair.

Just my two cents.

Kelly