View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Smoking Gun

About two years ago I purchased a collection of cdg's called SuperCore II

The box was green and there were 16 discs. Two years have passed and the set has since been blue (with a supplementary 2 discs with modern male and female hits 2002) and yellow (with another supplementary set of discs-hits for 2003)

The version in my set, and probably the next sets, has a pretty exciting version of I LOVE ROCK AND ROLL

The last notes and words are..AND DANCE WITH ME!

As Microstudio plays it, the last words are..AND D_ (There are even graphics for these words but they and the music are ignored)

I knew there was some clipping in this set of discs, but it was hard to pin some down for sure, since a lot of the songs simply fade away and the only bad effects are notes not properly decaying etc. or fading away less gradually.

But this is a definite smoking gun.

(Time for my J.B. Fletcher imitation)

I knew it would be. Motivated by George's and Mlpine's entries I decided to try to find some more mainstream occurences. I have a version of Suspicious Minds in this Supercore set, but this song fades away. I feel it ends prematurely, but the effect is pretty harmless.

So I examined all the songs on the disc and other discs using a normal cd player program. Any song where the music stopped less than two seconds before the timed end of the track, the music was always cut off by Microstudio. Like I said, most of the effects were barely perceptible. (Fading away etc.)

When I examined the song I LOVE ROCK AND ROLL, I noticed that the final chord and word ended right on the last second. I knew this effect would be perceptible, and I was right!

It's like Microstudio processes the songs one chunk at a time. If the chunk is not big enough, it's time to end the song.

Well time for me to fix supper.