Thread: Sample songs
View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2002, 02:15 PM

Sample Songs (Karen)

Karen,

Your success with Vogone may be dependent on the kind of music you are working with. I have found that the larger the band or orchestra that you are working with, the better the results with Vogone. Here is why (at least I THINK this is why!):

Smaller acts, such as lounge acts or small combos, will be recorded closer to the center. They do this so that you don't hear the drums coming from the far left and the piano coming from the far right. The fancy name for this is spatial summation.

To record a larger orchestra a record producer will try to create a more complexe picture for your senses, so that your ears allow you to locate specific instruments or sections across an imaginary stage. The center of the "stage"is still reserved for most of the solos, but the overall sound is enriched by spreading out the orchestra to the left and right.

Vogone essentially works by reducing the "center" of the stage (hope I don't get clobbered for oversimplifying!).

Therefore, when you reduce the center of the stage and you are working with a three-piece band, you are usually reducing the whole band, including the vocalist.

Hope this helps!

P.S. There is some GREAT Karaoke in Hawaii! I'm heading back to Oahu in two weeks, and the OutRigger Reef has a great host!.