View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Honor Roll

Ok,I'll try to go into a little more detail in this report.At present,Ive tried removing vocals from approx.20 songs.Each was taken off standard CD's ripped by using microstudio V2.310.
Each song had a single lead vocalist male or female and various combinations of background vocals interspaced throughout the recording.
A sampling of some songs I've tried include:
Downtime.....JoDee Messina
Com'ere Once.......Happy Schnapps Combo
Acapulco Goldie......Dr. Hook
How Do You Feel.....Watershed
New Yorks Not My Home......Jim Croce
Never You Mind......SemiSonic
Kentucky Bluebird.....Wade Hayes
Big Ten Inch Record......Aerosmith

As it should be pointed out,These songs are a mixture of country,rock,and folk music from differant recording lables,with very little in common with each other in recording style.

Background vocals were not eliminated at all as far as I could hear,and lead vocals were removed minimal at best.I played with the slider bars on each,to try and find the best settings.But this had little effect on removal.
The best luck I had was leaving the controls set at their pre-set levels.Moving the slider bars did have some effect,but not enough to make a usable file.
In most cases both the highs and lows needed to be set at the maximum removal level to gain any significant result,but at the cost of too much distortion.
Panning left to right to locate optimal settings also had little effect on most songs.I say little,because there was some effect.Usually,panning left to right only needed 5 or six markings off center to find maximum effect.