View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2009, 05:01 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMcCharles View Post
That sounds like exactly the wrong way to pursue the problem.
1. The club often has no idea where the Kj gets their music or how legit it is.
Business owners have a responsibility to make a reasonable effort to make sure their employees,customers and vendors are acting in a legal manner, especially once they become aware of it. No diferent than if the business was turning a blind eye to drug dealing and prostitution.
Quote:
2. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Kj may have bought music in good faith, when it was not legit.
If you buy a stolen car from a licensed dealer it doesn't make the car any less stolen and subject to confiscation. Your only recourse would then be to sue the dealer
Quote:

To me the problem appears to be KJs who buy illegitate music that is obviously illegitimate, knowing full well it is ilegitimate. So the solution is:
First: a legal body must recognize and prosecute such activity.
Second: anyone, orgainized or not, must report such activity to the legal body.
Agreed.
Quote:

What KIAA apears to being doing is unsanctioned vigilatism, which is never a good thing.
The KIAA is just another trade organization created to educate the public and protect the intellectual property rights of it's members.
Quote:

To me the best approach is to encourage singers to boycott criminal KJs. Until the problem becomes big enough to attract the criminal justice system there is not much more we can do. I, as a singer, do not support bars or Kjs who are obviously abusing the industry.
. Most singers in my neck of the woods don't care anything about piracy. Half of 'em ask me why I don't download from the sharing sites.It's not their ox being gored (although if they would analyze the situation they would see it is their ox). I boycott them just to make a moral statement but I have no illusions that they miss my business at all.
Karaoke piracy is such a tiny drop in the bucket relative to the economy I doubt (US) government will ever take any meaningfull action. Music and film piracy is a much bigger problem and you can see the government is doing very little about it. What little is done is being done by the RIAA (another trade organization.)
The two political parties are so busy fighting for power and trying to buy votes by outspending the other it's unlikely that underfunded law enforcement agencies will ever give us a second look.

Sam