View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
The problem here is you are expecting your singers to overlook the appearence of the KJ singing every round even when it's busy, but noticeing the substance of the fact you are going overtime, working for free, and it's a net gain for them.
It's been my experience that people who are drinking, people who go to bars and people in general are more likely to notice "appearence" over "substance". You've also got a lot of folks who won't stay to take advantage of that extra time, they've got babysitter issues or they work in the morning or whatever so they need to leave by some certain time.

For every guy who argues with your policies there will be a number of people who won't say anything and you won't get the opportunity to explain the logic behind them. I rarely get appreciation for running overtime (most don't know or care) but I have gotten a number of comments over the years from people who appreciate that I don't sing when it's busy.

Whatever works for you and your crowds.
This has worked well for me and mine.

Sam

I think what it comes down to is: am I entertaining, or do I think I'm being entertaining?

The only way to verfiy that is whether or not your singers come back every week, and do they bring friends? If the answer is yes, keep doing it. If the answer is no... stop.

There's no argurment... some hosts can do this well, others can't. Period the end.

So far, my singers come back, and they bring friends. I make it a point to get people involved, and have fun, and don't take myself too seriously. You want to stand behind the table all night and collect slips, more power to ya, if that's working. Personally, I enjoy getting out on the floor and talking to people... I couldn't do it any other way. There's nothing more rewarding than getting that "shy" person to pop their Karaoke cherry and become a regular singer. If I've got to sing with them and hold their hand the first time, then that's what I do. The karaoke community loves to find newbies and bring them "into the fold". That's how your business grows... that's how you get the private gigs... because people see you're personable, and easy to approach.

That's the difference between a "host" and a "KJ". Any monkey can change disks/ work a computer, and introduce the next singer. A host remembers that besides the singers, there are others that come for the entertainment, and if thay doesn't happen they won't be back. You can't keep a gig on going if the bar isn't making money. That means non-singers need to be there as well. I choose my song not based on what I want to sing per say, but what is happening in the bar... sometimes the crowd needs to to get perked up. Singing or doing something silly can get a good laugh and "break it up" a bit.

There may be someone wanting to sing, but with someone else, and the don't have a willing partner. How will they know your willing if you don't sing? How can you expand what you sing, if you don't sing?

Are people laughing/ hugging you shaking your hand at the end of the night? Are they saying they can't wait to come back next week???

Sell drinks, entertain, and keep your singers happy and coming back. I don't think that's going to happen if all you're doing is changing songs and introducing the next singer all night. Boooorrring!

The Karaoke Koyote

Last edited by karaoke koyote; May 12th, 2008 at 12:06 PM.