View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM
VIP

When I decided to get into this biz about 8 years ago I decided to adopt the things as a singer I liked about other shows and vowed to avoid the things as a singer I disliked.
2 of the things I disliked was the KJ singing when it was busy and the KJ singing before I got my first turn.
8 years later I'm still true to my vows, I don't sing when the rotation is larger than about 8 people and I don't sing if it means a new singer will be after me unless maybe they signed up during the song previous to mine. If I need to do a special request I'll put it off until I'm caught up on the new people. Most singers aren't there to hear the KJ or anyone else sing, they are there to hear themselves sing.
Most nights the first song I do for sound check is all I get, which is fine, I make it as much about the singers as possible and as little about me as possible.

I never beg anyone to sing. If they want to signup and sing and/or have me help them on THEIR turn thats great, and if they don't they don't, the bar needs listeners as well as singers.

Sam