View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Lauraine Graham- with the Lord Lauraine Graham- with the Lord is offline

booking gigs

I have just read this thread for the first time. I noticed that it has been subscribed by KJs who wish to receive tips on how to decide whether to accept a gig or not.

How about looking at this question from the stand-point of someone who wants to attend or book a gig, which what I thought it was going to be when I looked at it.

As a seasoned patron (and for a short stand-in period to help out my favourite club at the time, a KJ) perhaps what I look for when searching for gigs to attend may help KJs (or it may not )

The best tip when booking a KJ is to ask where they are performing at the moment and go to see them, more than once if you are not immediately put off first time. More than once if you are not sure, because sometimes the venue and/or the audience can make a difference.

The Venues: I look for a clean looking establishment which has a reputation for keeping trouble out. I also look for places where the KJ can set up without the patrons being too close, preferably with a stage. I don't particularly like pubs, but there aren't too many clubs near where I live.

The Crowds: I like them to be lively, but friendly. It is also a requirement that the crowd actually wants the karaoke. It is a real pain when the booker wants it but most of the regulars feel their place is being invaded. These tend to place themselves near the performance area and converse loudly, don't applaud and generally make themselves a nuisence.

The KJ: I look for a well presented individual, with nice looking equipment and lots of books with plenty of slips and pens put in an accessible place. As I cannot stand for very long I usually arrive very early in order to ensure a seat. This quite often allows me to be there when the KJ is setting up. I like to see a smooth, fuss-free operation, so I can have confidence that the KJ is competent. I like to see that a proper sound check has been made and that all the mics are balanced with the music and each other. The KJ should also effect a friendly, welcoming demeanour, but somehow eminate an"I will brook no nonense" aura. The KJ should be tactful, encouraging, but most of all FUN. Don't let too much time elapse between performers and exert some discipline on the patrons to be ready by announcing who will be called after the present singer is finished. The patrons will appreciate it because the more time wasted in between songs is less songs sung, and may make the difference between getting another one sung, or not.

I am sure there are many other things I have failed to mention, but this reply is already in danger of being too long.

Best wishes