View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

Downunder is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaoke koyote View Post
I think what it comes down to is: am I entertaining, or do I think I'm being entertaining?

The only way to verfiy that is whether or not your singers come back every week, and do they bring friends? If the answer is yes, keep doing it. If the answer is no... stop.

There's no argurment... some hosts can do this well, others can't. Period the end.

So far, my singers come back, and they bring friends. I make it a point to get people involved, and have fun, and don't take myself too seriously. You want to stand behind the table all night and collect slips, more power to ya, if that's working. Personally, I enjoy getting out on the floor and talking to people... I couldn't do it any other way. There's nothing more rewarding than getting that "shy" person to pop their Karaoke cherry and become a regular singer. If I've got to sing with them and hold their hand the first time, then that's what I do. The karaoke community loves to find newbies and bring them "into the fold". That's how your business grows... that's how you get the private gigs... because people see you're personable, and easy to approach.

That's the difference between a "host" and a "KJ". Any monkey can change disks/ work a computer, and introduce the next singer. A host remembers that besides the singers, there are others that come for the entertainment, and if thay doesn't happen they won't be back. You can't keep a gig on going if the bar isn't making money. That means non-singers need to be there as well. I choose my song not based on what I want to sing per say, but what is happening in the bar... sometimes the crowd needs to to get perked up. Singing or doing something silly can get a good laugh and "break it up" a bit.

There may be someone wanting to sing, but with someone else, and the don't have a willing partner. How will they know your willing if you don't sing? How can you expand what you sing, if you don't sing?

Are people laughing/ hugging you shaking your hand at the end of the night? Are they saying they can't wait to come back next week???

Sell drinks, entertain, and keep your singers happy and coming back. I don't think that's going to happen if all you're doing is changing songs and introducing the next singer all night. Boooorrring!
In Australia.... If you are a host that is a superb singer and entertaining, the punters (patrons) don't care. We have a tall poppy syndrome down here. If the best they will cut you down. If you are the worst, they will lift you up. The punters love it when someone sounds terrible. I have some world class singers follow my show because of the quality, and the punters don't even clap. When a crap singer has a go, there is a standing ovation. Karaoke to me is for people who can't sing. As soon as you have a good singer singing to karaoke it becomes a different ball game. It then is a solo performer with backing music, not karaoke. People down here don't want to hear the host sing, even if there are no singers. The host, if they are good singers, should have another show (not karaoke) just for them to sing at. Then you can build a fan base and make your life more rewarding. You have the gear, practice at home and be the star you aspire to be and get out there and do some real gigs. There is nothing worse than a host singing at his own karaoke gig.