View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Maybe its because i'm neither a dj or kj that i may be missing the point. I don't see what one has to do with the other. Seems we are discussing apples and oranges here where the only relationship is we all play basically the same places. The idea of discussion is to gain new insight or ideas to improve what we do as "Entertainers". How the dj does his job cannot be compared to what a kj does. The only thing in common would be a sound system. The root of the problem seems to be the competition and pay scale.The bands out there that karaoke is putting out of business is saying the same thing about kj's as the dj's are saying about the kj's who are putting them out of business.
I was playing one man shows when if you looked up karaoke on google, google would send you to a japanese site about flowers or some crap. Now look at it. If i was a dj, i would be shopping at MTU and a computer store to get in the karaoke business. Now, having said that, i'm still playing more than i want to, my friends who have the good bands are still playing all they want to, and a couple of djs i know have plenty of work. Talk about each other and complain about each other all you want to, but, the bottom line is the best always play the best places, make the most money, and, will continue to do so. If you are not one of these, quit complaining and start listening to learn how to be the best, so you can survive when the next "big" entertainment thing comes out.

muzicman
You are right... DJ is very much different then a KJ. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Just like it is with a DJ and a Band. Yes DJ killed wedding singers. Back then there were not very good sound systems and carying around a record player and stuff would of really been a hassle. They still did it but not like how it really blew up when CD's came out. Video killed the radio star even tho MTV has now killed themselves... Man what ever happened to the MTV of the 80 and early 90's before this TRL crap and reality shows...

Ok that got off the point.

Anyway the point here is the difference between DJ and KJ. Well most DJ's I have seen are long winded, talk alot, and try to be very flashy. Well that is their job. They play music and give a personal show of themselves. They are the center of attention the whole night. With the KJ they are only center of attention part of the night the rest of the night they are adjusting and working their PA to make their singers the center of attention.

Now what sets a KJ apart of a DJ. Way I look at it and why a KJ moving to DJ is better then a DJ trying to become a KJ is...

1. KJ is use to running the show all night long and keeping everything sounding great. A DJ blasts their music and there really is not much for adjustment.

2. A KJ is not use to being the center of the show. A DJ is always the center of the show even if it is suposed to be a bride and groom the DJ still is the center. So when a KJ starts to DJ he keeps it like he always has and does not take over the center of the show but shares it with everyone else.

3. DJ is always use to being the center of attention. I just dont think that makes a good KJ because your singers are your show... not you.

4. All the behind the scenes a KJ does to make his show sound great... just not something a DJ has to do. a DJ starts his music and if it is too loud turn it down a slight bit and if it is too soft turn it up a bit... a KJ is adjusting bass, treble, singer volume, music volume, knowing on how to stop feedback over a mic. A DJ just does not do this.

5. A good KJ has the ear for the music. To me a KJ just have the right kind of ear. It is almost like a sounds man at a big rock concert. You have to have that right ear to be able to adjust and blend everything in to one smooth operation.

If anyone objects to these (which all of these I consider to be something a professional KJ does) lets hear yout thoughts. I am just stating why I think a KJ (a good KJ that really loves this job) can be a better DJ then a DJ trying to be a KJ. These are my views on the difference and why I think a KJ is just getting the bottom end of the deal.
Hopefully Hoster 3.316
AMD Athalon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3ghz
ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
2 - 1GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM
1 - 500 GB SATA Western Digital HD
1 - 160 GB external HD
ATI Radeon Sapphire X1650 Pro Video Card 512MB
Realtek HD Audio

www.downhomekaraoke.biz