View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:50 PM
VIP

Ahh, as we try to redifine "Professional"!

It typically means in the American Society an occupation that requires some form of licensure, education, and some qualifying exams to prove to the public that you have demonstrated, at least by way of the above, a certain level of proficeincy in that particular field. However, the word professional, like many other American words, are extremely overused and often times go beyond their originally intended meaning.
Also, because you have all the certifications stated above does not mean that you are better than someone that doesn't, but at it least says that you made the effort
to honor the profession, and are aware of the laws that govern that profession, and are usually the only ones legalized to practice that profession. Karaoke DJ's or any form of music hosting does not require licenses, registration, proof of ability, which simply means that anyone can try it any where. Therefore, not a profession.
Nor a professional.
I am a registered professional engineer by profession and am legally allowed to practice that, charge for it, and guarantee thru liability, my services. Others who are not registered do the same thing, however, illegally, and perhaps even better. If they get caught, regardless of how good their design was, they go to jail, pay fines, or both. I also have a teacher's certification, of which required more schooling, more testing, etc. for me to practice that profession and get paid for it. DJ's do not fall under these strict laws of true professions.

DJ's sort of go under the general category of hobbyist, paid hobbyist, unlicensed trade or occupation, blue-collar worker, semi-skilled laborer, skilled laborer, etc.