View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Steve I now must find out what do you consider to be "professional"? By definition professional means:
Quote:
pro·fes·sion·al
Quote:
/prəˈfɛʃənl/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pruh-fesh-uh-nl]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1.following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder. 2.of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies. 3.appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity. 4.engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person. 5.following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer. 6.making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business: “A salesman,” he said, “is a professional optimist.” 7.undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional baseball. 8.of or for a professional person or his or her place of business or work: a professional apartment; professional equipment. 9.done by a professional; expert: professional car repairs. –noun 10.a person who belongs to one of the professions, esp. one of the learned professions. 11.a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional. 12.an expert player, as of golf or tennis, serving as a teacher, consultant, performer, or contestant; pro. 13.a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.
Now I can say there are a lot of amateurs in both the KJ/DJ field but being a singer does not make you a professional. Playing in a band does not make you professional. Being a DJ does not make you professional and being a KJ does not make you professional.

Just because before your name you have lets say "DJ Jeff" this does not make you "professional". When I start my shows whether I am a KJ for that night or DJ is "My name is Jake and I will be your host for the night for the next 5 hours." I do not add DJ or KJ I am their host.

Now whether I am a KJ or a DJ I am professional on both sides of the board. I am not more professional when I DJ over when I KJ. Steve where does this make sense? Am I only professional when I DJ at weddings but when I KJ at a wedding I am not? If my show is always the same rather it be in the bar or at a wedding how am I not a "professional" KJ? I was never trained as a KJ and I was never trained as a DJ. They came as natural to me to do as golf did for Tigar Woods.

Here is what I consider to be a "professional" KJ or DJ:

You must have the love for the music inside and out. If you are in the business just for the money then you might as well get out now. You must look professional as in a nice appearance. Like Alan Ross said: In a bar wear some nice jeans and a nice button down shirt over wearing shorts and t-shirt. Do not under dress a gig but also do not over dress a gig either like as in do not wear a tux to host karaoke at a bar... but do not wear jeans and button down shirt at a wedding. Appearance does not stop with you!!!! Your equipment must also have a good appearance. If that looks bad even if you ARE in a tux... makes you look non-professional. You must ACT professional, this means no swearing over the mic, no ripping down your singers or dancers, keep the show flowing get the crowd into it.

To me if your KJ or DJ does all of the above and more they are professionals.
Hopefully Hoster 3.316
AMD Athalon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3ghz
ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
2 - 1GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM
1 - 500 GB SATA Western Digital HD
1 - 160 GB external HD
ATI Radeon Sapphire X1650 Pro Video Card 512MB
Realtek HD Audio

www.downhomekaraoke.biz