View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Question Transfer Win98 License to WinXP Machine?

Hello,

My husband has had this program for a very long time on his old Gateway running Windows98. Recently he pulled the burner and installed it in this computer, a Dell with Windows XP. We'd really like to retire that old Gateway, but we can't get MTU to work with this Dell.

I've searched in the FAQ and in here but I don't see anything about it, so I'm guessing I was searching wrong. If anyone knows the address of a FAQ or an old post in here I would appreciate the link.

A little more background: When he first bought the program it was actually called something else, I can't remember what. It might have had the word 'sketch' in it. Then he upgraded every time an upgrade came out, and never had any problems on the Gateway.

When moving the program to this computer, he couldn't find his original installation software, so he pulled the oldest executable off of his Gateway that he could find. When he executes it over here, he gets "Your serial number does not match your registration information. Please reinstall MicroStudio and try again."

So I'm thinking the problem is that we don't have that original package, which is why I'm here. I'm sure there's a simple way to move the program to a new computer with a newer operating system somewhere in here, which is why I just typed all this out. I hope I didn't give too much detail and bore you to death.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.