Thread: Performing
View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2002, 09:07 PM

performing

Hey Jumpmaster!

Good to hear from you. I try and hold the fun numbers to no more than one a week so they don't get too old too quick. I, too, have seen the "you don't bring me flowers", and it would be a real kick to do it… but I'm not enough of a costume maker to pull it off, and don’t know anyone who could make the costume. As you said, any bit can get old quick... While "Lem and Clem" do one song almost every week, we pay attention to the crowd, try not to do the same song too often, and skip the entire thing if too many regulars are in the group. We also do some more serious things... I usually have my old guitar around, and will play along with the simpler (I ain't that good on the Guitar) old country songs, just to add a something different.... complete with exaggerated guitar movements and moving up and away from the mic a lot like a young Johnny Cash. It makes people think I play guitar netter than I do. If you haven't yet,….. make sure you know most of the popular duets... you get asked a lot to sing with others, especially if they are first timers.

Tambourines and shakers are also great to take to the audience for certain numbers. It's great to get more people involved.

Other things that work... sing (half talk) a love song like John Wayne, complete with hand motions and swagger. Works well if you’re asked to do a song you don’t really know. I've even done James Brown "I feel Good" like Mr. Wayne. Collect parody songs... Camp Kookamonga (tune of Battle of New Orleans) .. make up alternate words... Frank Sinatra's "Fly me to the Moon" becomes…” Fly me too your Room, or we'll just play here at the bar, or test out the springs in the back seat of my car....."... and a bunch of others, but mind your audience and the song content… a song that’s right at 10:30, might not be good at 8:00.

Didn't mean to write a book

keep having fun,

Papa Ray

Tunes For Your Times