View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
I know I'm not Dale but....A floating ground usually happens when you have a properly grounded device, and one that is not, hooked up on the same circuit. The ground "floats" between the 2 devices. This is almost universally caused in a bar by older neon lights. The older ones don't have a ground. As they age, it exacerbates the problem. Electricity, like water, takes the path of least resistance. If your laptop/amp is closer (wiring wise) than the grounding rod (if there is one) that goes to earth, your equipment will act as the ground. Bear in mind, path of least resistance can also include wiring size as well as distance. This can also be aggravated by the wall wiring being undersized. This is not limited to neons. It can be anything that is not working properly, or is not properly grounded.
In other words Bryant it is a lack of ground somewhere in the AC power that the laptop is also plugged into. To go any deeper would require you have an electronics background.

When Karl said feedback between songs I immediately thought of 60 HZ hum, but you are right he could have his internal microphone on.