View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Maybe not, but I can't say for sure as I wasn't taking part in the quality control tests at the factory either.

Most likely, Apple had many computers in a controlled environment compared to many computers in a "smoking" environment, and a certain percentage of those even in the controlled environment still failed or problems arose before their standard warrantee guideline time. A slightly higher percentage than expected either had problems or failed in the smoking environment. Also, before the test began, a set of criteria was most likely established ( a cut-off percentage of failures) to determine if there was a significant difference in the two environments. If a statistical difference was shown to be 95% likely (this involves complex engineering statistics), then their original hypothesis is considered valid, and they felt that action be taken based on that.

I know, I sound like a know it all, but I did this kind of work in a manufacturing company a few years back.

and also most of the places where i play or used to play, smoking is not allowed anyway, unless you're serving a small percentage of food, the only thing i'm worried about is people spilling drinks on my laptops,