View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMcCharles View Post
I emailed Karaoke-Version asking about burning their downloads to CDG and singing from them in a karaoke bar. The short answer is that if the bar or KJ has an entertainment license it is legal. (The long answer is much longer as they provide music for more than just karaoke singers.
Seems to me there are two issues here. Most clubs have paid their dues to ASCAP-BMI, etc., but the karaoke issue seems to be treated a little differently. Seems someone is seeing extra dollars to someone's pocket where karaoke is concerned. I don't see the bars and clubs playing live music getting the attention karaoke places are getting as far as legality of the music is concerned, only if its recorded, but most pro bands now use some tracks in their shows. This is never addressed.
I use karaoke tracks to do a one man show, which puts me under the eye of the karaoke police, but, what if i used my band to record tracks, made a cdg out of it, how would that be different from a live band playing the same song in the same venue. NOW i realize i have recorded the track, but am not selling the track, but using it to make money, in reality doing the same as a band. Or if i used my synthesizer to do all the backup and played it live as a band does.
As one can see, this is something that will take more than the KIAA, SoundChoice lawsuits, etc. is doing to clear up.
most of you just address the karaoke legality and i understand that, but, we are all in the same boat when it docks in court.
muzicman144

Last edited by ddouglass; October 16th, 2009 at 04:43 PM.