View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know about Canadian Law, but the link for the SC titles is legit as they sold/transfered rights to that company for all there past releases. This would be more legal than a lot of the sites at least for SC created songs.
The Chartbuster site will be doing the same thing except they are retaining control, so they would be legal too.
CAVS, who knows I don't know where they get there songs from for downloading.
From what I can find Karaoke-Versions is a legit branch/sub-company of Recisio a French music production company, so it looks like they are legit too.
Even though a lot of the other sites claim they are legal, none of them state anything about being licensed by any of the production companies themselves. This tells me they are not legal.
Is there an authority or list of legal/illegal sites - none that I know of.
The legality issue is that a production company for Karaoke is supposed to have a license/permission to reproduce the songs they do. They in turn have the rights to license the sale of those songs by whatever format they wish to. Sale by CD is easy as they are the producers of the CDs and have their copyright on the label, but downloads do not.
If it was my site for downloading I would certainly post those agreements for each producer so everyone could see that they had permission to do so.

Last edited by ddouglass; October 15th, 2009 at 10:56 PM.