View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM

What you are proposing may be true, actually not entirly, there are so many variables that no blanketed rule applies here. This is fine if all you use is a mixer and amp. But you add in other things in the input pre amp path and this is not neccessary a rule to follow. You add EQ from an outboard EQ unit, it adds volume, you add compression, it to may add volume, you add a sound enhance ie: DBX BBE they have a volume control, Lexicon reverb, they have most generally two volume controls, pre and post. So you see, you are at rated volume for your speakers at far less then 75% of your amps operating potential. You couldn't use 75% of your rated amps power, with these variables ratioed in, with the average speakers that most fella's are using, regardless of brand. Although as i said, the 75% rule may be a norm for some, it is not by any means a rule of thumb. Just not necessary to achive the full potential of your speakers rated output. By adding effects, and these things i have mentioned into your signal path you will under almost all circumstances get an incease in preamp modulation, sine, and signal. So much so, that if you ran your power amp at the 75% rule, on top of this hot output signal, it may very well spell disaster. I have noticed through the years, especally with the younger folks, for some reason, the more power one has, the more one turns things up and uses it. Again, caution is the key here. If i have a 100 watt power amp, then if i buy a 200 watt power amp i will be twice as loud right? nope.... It's called "Head Room" which is what the 75% theory is trying to achieve, but does it? It is easy to paint all situations with a broad brush. Thanks Again...George