View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaokeG View Post
Hi there my name is Gloria and I do kj/dj shows in Northern Wisconsin. I have been wondering if the bad economy would be hitting me, but so far so good. I play thursdays and fridays at one bar. thursdays usually bring in about 40 people and fridays about 70 to 80. The bar owner says it evens out my pay that way. i charge 175 and 225. My saturdays ( 250} are also booked at different bars in the area. I keep my saturdays open for just this reason. Private parties, graduations, picnics. During the winter it is slower (i only do about about 10 shows a month) but than when summer comes I am busy 3 or 4 nights a week.
I quit doing weddings because that is where I have found the rudest people who do not respect myself or my equipment. There are a number of kj/dj's in my area. I can count about 6 on the top of my head, but the reason I am busy is because...>>>>I made out a survey and passed them around for a couple of months, This is the feedback I got>>>
1) I DO NOT DRINK while I am doing a show I will have 2 soda's and switch to water. (This is the one of the top reasons with the bar owners)
2) I will play 5 hours sometimes even 6 hours (private parties only for the 6 hours but than i charge 300 bucks for a private party) for one price. If the customers are having fun they drink more and dance more so if they stay longer the bar gets more money in the till and I consider it a freebie hour for them,
3) My music both dj and kj will be up to date with the latest songs. I add new karaoke music every two weeks. I have people driving 20+ miles to follow me.
4) I have an huge outgoing personality and can relate to every age. Yeah I am crazy, fun, I also can sing when needed. This was one of the top reasons people come out to visit with me. I do not have favortism with just a few ( you would not believe how many kj do this) everyone is my #1!!!
5) I have 5 WIRELESS mics and hook up to the bars tv's so you can dance around the bar as you sing (or ON the bar) customers love not having to share microphones
6) I have props. wigs, tamborines, handclappers, hats, beads, maracas, guitars, saxaphones and many sound effects. bingo, twister, sassy dice games. Yeah they get
broken or even brought home but oh well
7) This is my only job! I LOVE my job (AND IT SHOWS}
8) My sound system is better than the other kj's in the area.
9) i have a light show. fog machine, cams and 7 other lighting props.

I am not saying that I am the best, but I sure do everything and anything to make everyone feel like they are number one when they come up to sing.
I am 51 years young and this is the most fun I have ever had at a job. IT is also the HARDEST job I have ever had.
visit me at www.myspace.com/glorioke_dj_karaoke and look at some of the crazy pics

i'm not sure if i can do what youre doing, i dont remember doing a gig whether i'm djing or kjing without having some liquid courage, most of the time people will buy or bring me drinks, especially when i get them to dance all night..i too quit doing weddings, it's very easy to do, easy money. i just don't like programs, i dont like it when they give you a list of songs that they wanted and change it after you have all the songs on your playlist ready... i have a big truss lighting system but i only use them on big venues, thats a lot of setting up and tear down, hope you have someone helping you, and i hope you don't bring 'em to all the karaoke shows that you do, thats a lot of set up and tear down..i never thought of bringing or using any props...