View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Honor Roll

I was a lead singer in a rock band in the 80's. I always got a kick out of getting people to "join" the show and sing a song or two with the band. You know, those people who set in the front row and sing at the top of their lungs. I enjoyed them getting applause more than getting it myself. There is no better feeling for me as a performer than to add just the right harmony to a mediocre performer and make them sound like a pro.

When I ended up owning a bar, I brought karaoke in because I thought it would be fun for my customers. We did it one night a week for about 6 months and it was an instant hit. So I added another night. I was unhappy with the quality of the show. I know how to run sound and I thought I could do a better job of making people the **STAR**. I also thought it was futile to try and keep up with scratched and damaged CDGs. I had been passionate about computers for 5-6 years by then and knew there had to be a better way. I mistakenly went with another companies products (coughCAVScough) and wasted years and a LOT of $$ with them.

Then I found MTU and my life has been much better since. Now we can concentrate on making the atmosphere and the "show" better. I now do karaoke 6 nights a week. I still get more of a kick out of making other people the star than I do being the star. I have never needed to be the center of attention, but I do like the "attaboys" for making Murphy's the premier place for karaoke in my little part of the country. I don't sing much, but I still love to do harmonies. And now 18 years later, I am still going strong 6 nights a week.