View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM

I think a couple of well written and well addressed emails can go a long way without spending too much time on it, and can get rid of some problem "pirates".
I have also seen the problems that Lonman was speaking about, with the venue owners not getting quality and becoming somewhat disenchanted with the whole karaoke scene.
I once had a gig at a pub in the lower mainland just outside Vancouver, and an outfit came in and lowballed me. After having filled the pub for over a year with a rotation of 30 plus every week, this outfit proceeded to have the owner cancel karaoke after only 3 months because there were less than 10 singers per night.
I found out later in the year that he was too embarrased to phone me and admit he should have stuck with us, but it owuld have nbeen too late anyway,because there was another venue even closer to home that was happy to have us, and we were there until I moved away four years later.
As far as having owners see what they can get, I have invited them to come to the other places I play at, and have even gone as far as having one of my shows videotaped ( with managements consent), to show prospective clients.I didn't seed the crowd for the show, and had a regular rotation of about 20 people that night.I used that video to secure a number of private gigs as well as a few new venues for weekly shows.