View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by michbabe View Post
I searched the forum to see if this question was already asked, but I really found nothing that gave me an answer.
I was just curious if you Hoster Pro's keep all your duplicate songs on your drive.? I mean some of these songs you find you have 3-4 versions of.
When using discs we had picked what we considered to be the better version and only had that one in the song book. But I kept a master copy of where all others were.
But now going to the laptop I'm wondering - better to keep or delete to save space???
Also what about some of these LONG songs, do you keep them? I found one song that was 16 min long!!! Never knew that till I pulled it up in hoster to see what it was...
Still loading my discs, had the lost files problem with vista and had to start all over now on disc 302 not quite half way...All seems Well...yea hoster!!!
But wanted the "Hoster Pros" advise on which files to keep, which ones to loose...Thanks All!!!! Happy Singing!!!!
Everyone will have a different opinion on that. Ultimately it will be what works for you.

Personally I try to keep what I believe to be the better version (usually Sound Choice but not always.) and delete any others. Sometimes I'll have a song someone has gotten used to and they don't want to "upgrade" so I'll leave it on the computer just for them, but you won't find it listed in my book.
When I first started I listed all versions but I got tired of answering the question "which one one's better" or "what's the difference between..." or "which one should I pick". Ultimately it's just your personal philosophy and what works for you.

As to long songs: I get rid of them. With a very few exceptions I get rid of anything over about 6 minutes. If it's fun, fast and popular with the audience I'll let it go to about 7 minutes. Long, slow and boring is the kiss of death for a song in my opinion. I have to take crap from people occasionally because I don't have American Pie and a few others but such is life.