View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilith View Post
I really it should not matter if they are getting strict on DUI or DWI because if the people that came out to the bar were responsible there would be no need for that county to be strict with the laws?
Yes and No, Kil. What they (the police) do here is park in front of the busy bars, patrons tend to feel uncomfortable. Result: they will tend other bars not so busy where they feel they are not being watched.

Roadblocks: Patrons may hang around the other bars where they don't have to "cross the lines". In Maine, everyone that leaves a bar drunk has broken the law, along with the bartender and owner. Is this enforced: yes and no; sort of randomly. Result: Patrons will migrate to areas where they know it isn't.

I remember a friend of mine telling me that in Miami once he left a bar, with a bottle of beer, staggered across the street and was stopped by an officer half-way across. Officer asked "are yo okay"? He put the bottle in his pocket and said yup. Officer says "can you make it home alright". He says "Sure no problem". Okay be careful. that's it.

If that was around here: Handcuffs on for staggering in street, breath test for intoxication, "Hey what's in your pocket guy", then full search. spend overnight in jail, bartender fined 1500 bucks, bar watched for next year.
That's what we mean by stricter in some places.