View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Example 1.
A musician makes his own music tracks of a copyrighted song, using his own instruments in his home studio, puts it on a computer file and uses it in a paid performance at a club that pays its music industry fees. No one gets royalties from his use of the track, only the share from fees that the club pays the industry.
This is illegal because he did not pay the license fee to reproduce the songwriter's music which is copyrighted. In order for him to be legal he would have to contact ASCAP or BMI (whoever represents the writer/copyright holder) and obtain a license to reproduce the music. This is what the Karaoke Producers have to do to create the karaoke song files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Examle 2.
i buy a karaoke disc, burn a track of the copy of a copyrighted song, put it on a computer file and use it in a paid performance at the same club that pays its music industry fees. The music industry collects the club fees PLUS the royalties from my purchase of the karaoke disc for distribution to those due compensation for their copyrighted works.
The only disputed part of this is the change of format (CD to HD) and that is only in dispute by some Karaoke Producers. As you say all royalties and fees have been paid so is legal until a court case is determined.