View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2001, 01:54 AM

Exclamation Dumb Win2K issues here

While Microstudio appears to work for me, the installer seems to have disabled auto-insert notification (not the same as the Autorun feature) for my entire system, including for my LS-120 disk drive and for my DVD-ROM. I don't know how to re-enable it. I posted other annoyances in another thread in "Feature request for Karaoke products" or whatever that forum was named.

The Autorun feature in Win2K does allow you to set specific drive models as "Autoplay incompatible." In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CdRom there is a multiple string value named "AutoRunAlwaysDisable" which lets you specify manufacturers and models of CD devices you want to turn off autorun for. So you could insert your CD Writer into the list if you wanted without turning off the autorun capability of your other devices. Use REGEDT32 and not REGEDIT to manipulate this setting, since REGEDIT doesn't understand REG_MULTI_SZ values.

In my own experience, adding my HP 9210e to this list seemed to cripple Microstudio completely - it wouldn't write to any disks, immediately spitting them out even though it would pass the test phase.

MTU should consider redeveloping their software for Win2K and then test on Win9x / ME, rather than the other way around. Many of the fancy switches for tweaking Win9x just aren't available in Win2K for security and stability reasons. Work with the OS, not against it, for future compatibility.