View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM

Talking Whistling down the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry A. Leslie
Hello Glen,
I know you were addressing your remarks to Sam, but as I also mentioned
charitable functions, I'm drawn in.
I only suggest doing the odd engagement, certainly not with the hope of getting a paying gig from it, and definitely not as a full time non-paying job.
You should, without doubt, ask what you think you're worth, but I think the general concensus is that if you really want to run a karaoke you have to take the going rate. Try by all means to raise the ante but unless you are prepared to turn your back on it as a matter of principle you will have to accept.
As already pointed out there are plenty of lowballers waiting and most bar owners know absolutely nothing about the real costs and care even less, so unless you increase their take you're whistling down the wind.
Regards from across the pond.
Garry
Hi Gary
That whistling down the wind...is that something you guys across the pond do??? Is that why you lost the war roflmao

Seriously Garry all kidding aside and no disrespect intended. The only thing you HAVE to do is die and pay taxes...and I know some folks that don't pay their taxes, but thats another show. Why base your activities on what someone/everyone else is doing??? That just doesn't make any sense at all. In real Estate they always scream LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Maybe what needs to happen in our industry is to start screaming EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDCUATION!

And it starts with the operators/emcees not the veneue owners!
Raise your value! Unless you bring a horse to the veneue you are not a JOCKEY of any kind.

What you really are is a Producer, Director and Emcee! Present yourself that way professionally and back it up with your package and your clientele will respond accordingly.

General concensus??? Are you serious??? If your mates generally thought it was a good idea to jump in that river you have over there ....you know the bigs one LOL Would you do it too???
Geeeez folks, come on lets have a little positive attitude about ourselves and stop worrying about the lo-ballers. Do something about it! 1st educate yourselves! 2nd edcuate your prospective clients! Set your standards and stick to them. Plan your business and work your plan!
We're not talking about rocket science here, it's just plain common sense !

In my tri state area there are a lot of lo-ballers but the interesting thing I found is they are all trash and not worth their lo-ball price, as a matter of fact if you paid some of them their actual worth they would owe you money. Nothing worse than an ill dressed unkempt emcee, because that shws their whole package right there. And most of those that I have seen play in veneues that reflect their attitudes, so why would you want those veneue anyway? Garbage in = Garbage out .
I also found a guy that commands 500 - 600 a night for a 5 Hr show and this guy is booked up until Sept. 2006. He's been in business for about 8 years and has a plan and follows it. And like any professional he presents his contract, goes over it with his client and if they don't agree to his terms he bids them good day and NEVER LOOKS BACK! This gentlem is a real professional and has 8 systems in operation every week.

He didn't get there by worrying about the lo-ballers, or by accepting what the "Market" dictated. He got there by due dilligence, hard work and educating himself first and his clientel second, buy dressing for success, he shows up with his contract well dressed and well groomed he looks expensive, and has no problem walking out withy out a signature and deposit.

Ok Much as it's going to kill me I'll say no more on this thread!

However should you wish to avoid and or get out of that $150 rut...Watch for my new book "Perfect Pitch, Perfect Speed" A dummies guide to becoming a producer/director/emcee, without going bankrupt! copyright Moneysworth publishing 2005

" A rut is merely a grave with the ends kicked out of it"

Warm Regards
Glen