Thread: Dipping my toe
View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Welcome to the KJ in Public world! You're off to a great start by asking the people in here for advice. I'm still in my first year of KJ/DJ, and these kind souls have gotten me off to a great start. I've fallen for the "I have to leave soon" thing way too many times, then, you see them coming up for another song anyway, while you're getting other customers upset who have been patiently waiting their turn, only to see someone else get bumped up in the rotation.
Sending them to have another drink while they wait their turn is a good idea. Beware of the egos that you'll run into now that you're in public. people get emabarassed very easily when they pick a song that may be way beyond their capabilities, so, be prepared to help them out. There have been times when I've taken the blame if they want to bail out from the song, I'll just tell the crowd that it was a KJ error, and the song I had was different from what they were expecting. Some people will save you this trouble by blaming you anyway.