View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Blocked From MTU.Community

Another thought on this, as it is something we do all the time here:

Use Veritas BackupExec Pro. This program is I think now being
retailed via stomper.com but you can also check at Veritas' site.
It used to be Seagate Backup Exec. I'm not sure of the current price, but it isn't terribly expensive.

The software supports spanning of discs or tapes and will work with just about any "backup device" (CDr, tape drive etc) you have on your system. We do backups of projects involving 30-plus gigs of data all the time.

The bonus about this is that it allows you to verify the backup,
which is critical to us. Some years ago I used to backup data using Easy CD Creator as you describe, and when I looked at the file size it was same as source, so I figured-- great, no problem.
But some time later I had to use the backup file and discovered that some garbage had somehow got in it and oh boy there were problems.

I often back up small projects to CDR or CDRW, but for most of the big jobs we do, I use either DDS3 data DATs or Travan tape.
The Travan media costs more than data DATs, the drives cost less. I've restored a zillion times from backups using Backup Exec with no problem except for media glitches, which can happen.
Because of this, I highly recommend that you backup anything that is critical to 2 sets of media!

Hope it helps... Rich LePage