View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Frequent Member

Re: I'll add a little fuel to the fire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipeoke
Well, I'll add my comments to the list, hold on this could take awhile... ALL manufacturers are hit-or-miss... From what I have found every maufacturer has some songs that more closely matches the original song... While some are more consistant in quatily (i.e. Sound Choice, Top Hits Monthly) they rarely have entire discs that are perfect... You give me any manufacturer and I will give you an example of a really bad track...IMHO (as I don my flame retardant suit) disc manufacturers intentionally use less than perfect renditions for some of the songs on their discs. A good example of this is Sound Choice... SCG8207-3 Faithfully (one of my personal favorites to sing) good sound quality, good lyrics and timing... but if you happen to get the Journey disc from Sound Choice, SCG2269 you would think that the same version is used on both, not so, while the music is the same, there are wrong lyrics, and poor timing on SCG2269. I feel this is so SC can sell more discs to those of us who desire the best quality for the songs we have... however if they put all of their best tracks on the one disc, I would only buy that one disc... Aside from this, getting back to the original topic at hand, I don't rely on any one manufacturer to have the best versions of songs, nor do I rely on 2, 3, or 4, I am one of the lucky people who can go to my Karaoke distributer, and listen to the discs/songs before I buy them...and most of the time get the best version of a song... and while I do quite often end up with multiple versions of a song on different manufacturers discs, when you have done this long enough, you get to know which version most closely matches the original artist. The majority of my discs come from Sound Choice, and Music Maestro, yes MM, while some of their songs really blow chunks, many of them are very close to the original song. Others that I use are as follows in no particular order:

Top Hits Monthly
Pop Hits Monthly
Pop Hits Today
DK
Pioneer
Backstage
Pocket Songs(good for broadway stuff as well as others)
Top Tunes
Monster Hits
Sweet Georgia Brown
Legends
Nikkodo
Sunfly
StarDisc
Chartbusters
Priddis
NorthStar
Dangerous
All Hits
Amerising

and probably a few I am forgetting... While some of these manufacturers I only have 3 or 4 discs from them, I feel my selection would be lacking without them. I guess what I am saying is this: every manufacturer has good songs and bad songs, some have more good than bad, others have more bad than good, but their good ones are usually superior to other manufacturers... I miss not having the Pioneer laserdiscs... many of those were some of the best versions around...

Peace...

Mike
Hate to disagree with you on the Faithfully issue. The first version 8207-03 lyrics were way off in he verses and at the end funny I have never heard Steve Perry sing lost tonight faithfully. No the best version of that song is on Amerising which also kicked butt on when you love a woman. will sya this as Sound Choice redid Faithfully while some might feel the audio slipped their lyrics got better as I have sung the foundation 2 version and only found one mistake in lyrics.