View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Honor Roll

Well, I thought I'd give it a try to put this to rest:

This is not a I'm right, you're wrong situation. What works for me at my shows, might not work for you. You have to realize that different areas cater to different types of people, and all people are different. I try to please as many people as I can as often as I can without alienating others. I have the type of personality, which allows me a little more flexability in my show. You will never satisfy everyone's need to sing, realize this, but if you entertain well, and they all enjoy themselves, it does not matter as much. Yes, you might loose that one "karaoke diva" who is so upset he did not get to sing every song from "Phantom of the Opera" or some other broadway show but so be it.

I will part company with a quick story:

A competitor (and good aquaintence) of mine decided to put on a Large karaoke event. This man is an exceptional business man, owns a number of businesses, and also KJs. It was a contest to find the best karaoke singer of the area. And in doing so the best karaoke club. Each club who wanted to participate could sponsor up to 5 singers. There would be a maximum of 50 singers. Tickets were sold at $50.00 each, and included open bar, dinner, etc... Judges were local radio celebrities and a couple record producers. Someone from my club came in third, 2 people from the host club (the club this exceptional businessman KJs at) came in first and second. The winner was the "karaoke diva" who came to my show a couple of times who found out he did not get to sing enough. Well, it came time for the winner to pick the best Karaoke Bar. He said on the mic he has had the best time at my show, and considered it the best karaoke bar, but it would be wrong not to choose the bar that sponsered him in this event.

Hey, you win some you lose some. But we all had fun!

Flip