View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:55 PM
VIP

Re: something new about this legalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
The subject I was talking about is karaoke companies changing a song just enough so they can somehow get away with not paying royalties to the original artist / publisher on the music and on the lyrics.
Exactly. Usually at the end of every karaoke song (sometimes at the beginning and also on the paper insert with the cd) there is a page listing the writers, the publisher and the royalty collection agency that represents them (BMI, ASCAP etc) and usually the words "Used by permission". If the original artist is mentioned it is only for your information, not for any legal reasons as it doesn't mean squat for royalty collection purposes unless they also happened to be the writers. When I say "credits" I don't mean credit for making the song famous. I mean credit like shown on TV and Movies for who was involved in the production.

Quote:
Even when doing this, they still list the original artist of the song on the karaoke disc. If they didn't, then nobody would know who sang they song.
Again the original artist is irrelevent unless you hear their voice or hear them playing the instruments. The only ones who matter are who wrote the lyrics and who wrote the music. Though the original artists are often listed on the cd they are not always listed on the cd. It's a customer service thing. Just to help make the sale to you.

Quote:
I think we've all seen especially lyrics that are wrong and I know I've heard a few where the music was different in several places
Again it doesn't matter how many typos there are or how badly the music was performed, what matters is, is it the same song