MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Vogone Help (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Error message: No Sound Card installed - Was bad .wav files (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=3793)

dsmail April 29th, 2004 09:33 AM

No Sound Card installed

Hi,

I've just purchased and installed latest version of Vogone only to be told by the program that I have no sound card installed and I should install one now. Hmm? Obviously I do have a sound card which runs fine with all aspects of my PC running XPP.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort this out.

Here's some of my PC spec which may help:

AMD Athlon 1.2
1GB SD 133 RAM
ABIT KT7A RAID Motherboard (Via Chipset)
Win XPP SP1
ATI Radeon 64MB Video Card
Creative Audio PCI 128 (CT4810) Sound Card

Thanks

Dave

MTUSUPPORT April 29th, 2004 10:08 AM

dsmail,
The only thing that can cause this to happen that I am aware of is that your operating system is missing some of the updates. To fix this, connect this computer to the Internet, click the Start Menu\Windows Update. Once this page comes up click Scan for Updates.

Then add every update that you can, tell it to install them. Once this is done, Reboot the computer, rerun the Windows Update over and over until all of the Updates have been installed and no more show. You should then be able to run Vogone.

Also, tun the DXdiag as described in this FAQ: http://www.mtu.com/kb/index.php?page..._v2&id=18&c=13.
You can attach this .txt file to this post, so we can view it. Also you might try updating your Audio Drivers from Creative from: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/.

dsmail April 30th, 2004 10:12 PM

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your reply. There was a newer driver available from Creative for my sound card, but after installation, the same problem was still there. I've attached the results of DXDIAG as you suggested to this message. Hopefully this will help to solve the problem.

Dave

dsmail May 3rd, 2004 07:33 PM

No Sound Card Installed

My only sound device is my Creative PCI 128. My motherboard does not have onboard audio. I have tried installing it and reinstalling from original CD but no joy.

Am reluctant to reinstall XPP as it would take weeks / months to regenerate all software, settings tweaks etc. Everything Else works perfectly well as it is. I need my PC for work projects and other jobs.

Did anything come of my posting of the DirectX diagnostic program results.

Well, before I write this off as a total loss of $55, has anybody any final words of hope or advice. I know there are billions of pc configurations in existence, but am I really the first to have got absolutely nowhere with Vogone with my system? I was looking forward to experimenting with the program, but looks like it's not going to happen with my PC. I'm sure there's a simple answer to all this, a tweak of the registry perhaps? or a minor edit in a line or two of an ini file somewhere? Who knows?

Dave

jahern May 4th, 2004 05:06 PM

My two cents

I have had similar messages when other programs (jukeboxes, etc.) were also using the music files. Are all other programs turned off when you get this message? :?

MTUSUPPORT May 5th, 2004 11:53 AM

Dsmail,
Yes that Sound Blaster Live card should work. We have SB Live cards in Abit Motherboards with Via Chipsets here at our office. We use th Abit model VH6T boards.

gduns - with the Lord May 5th, 2004 02:00 PM

I would not recommend the soundblaster Live. I recommend the Audigy 1 or 2 because some motherboards have had problems with the Live card. I have a Gigabyte motherboard that Live won't work with. I have heard there are others that Live is not compatibile with.

dsmail May 5th, 2004 03:14 PM

Cheers Bryan. I'll get myself the Live card and if there are no incompatibilty problems as suggested I might just be up and running. I've researched how ABIT motherboards with VIA chipsets can live with the SB Live card and I appear to be OK on what I've read so far. Time will tell. I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Dave

mlepine May 5th, 2004 04:18 PM

SB Live

Gduns, I agree with you. I had problems with the SB Live on three different computers. Creative made so many different models of that card that it's no surprise that it will have some problems!

Most of the problems I had was with the EAX software and the Creative Player/Recorder. I know that the Live Value is one model that is not working properly with the latest updates.

I would spend a little more an get at least the Audigy 1. It is not supported on the Microsoft Update site so you will be certain to have a correct driver coming from Creative!

dsmail May 9th, 2004 02:48 AM

No Sound Card Installed

Well, I installed Creative SB Live as discussed and nothing has changed. It works fine with Windows XPP and all my installed apps apart from Vogone which shows exactly the same error messages as with my previous sound card. I tried the SB Live on various different PCI slots which made no difference and updated the driver from Creative which didn't help. I removed Vogone and reinstalled it also but to no avail.

Where do we go from here? Any more ideas.

Dave

mlepine May 9th, 2004 10:14 AM

Directory

My guess is that the fact you have Windows installed on the D drive might be part of the reason?

By default, when you install any software of drivers it will go in the C drive and perhaps you have drivers or software installed in the wrong directory which would explain this problem?

I would still recommend a fresh new installation on the C drice in NTFS this time but again, it's just a suggestion and it's what I would do because your setup is still not normal.

Regards

dsmail May 14th, 2004 06:50 AM

Problem Solved - Bad .wav file

Problem is solved at last.

It wasn't the sound card and it wasn't anything to do with my OS being on the D: drive.

It was the integrity of the WAV files I was asking Vogone to open. I had converted MP3s into WAVs using the highly acclaimed Cool Edit Pro prgramme which I use frequently and this is what Vogone obviously did not like. I ripped a track from a CD strainght to WAV format using a basic CD ripper and the resulting WAV was recognised by Vogone.

I think what threw me right off course was the error message created by Vogone "No sound device installed, please instal one and try agin" This obviously makes the user think the problem is with the sound card when it isn't at all.

Perhaps in future Vogone releases this error message could read something like "Inappropriate file format, please try again" or something like that. However, I'm not sure if this is an OS error message or from Vogone.

Thought you might be interested to know how it all turned out in the end.

Dave

MTUSUPPORT May 14th, 2004 10:10 AM

Dsmail, thank you for letting us know what the problem was!

This is very odd that you would have problems with a program such as Cool Edit Pro, but there is a very tight spec on the .wav file format. They have caused us grief, by being out of spec in the past.

You are correct about the error, I had not ever had anyone tell me this same problem due to your cause. I will make sure that we make note of this, and try to change the error messages in the program.