MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Microeditor Help - Versions 5.0-5.5 (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MTUSND.VXD problem (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=2661)

soundwookie August 14th, 2003 02:27 PM

MTUSND.VXD problem

On one of our MTU machines (we have 4, and not the one that I have started a different thread about), we keep getting the error about the "device=mtumsnd.vxd" in the system.ini.
We have had this problem on ALL of the other machines at some point, but have always been able to fix this particular problem by uninstalling and reinstalling me 5.5.
This is the process we usually use when reinstalling:

Uninstall Microeditor & Karaoke pro
shut down pc (not restart)
Re-install 5.5, shut down
reinstall karaoke pro.

Usually, this does the trick. We even tried the unplug trick, but that didn't do it either. When XP boots up after the unplug, it can't find the driver. What should I do?

Rich LePage October 4th, 2003 03:26 PM

I'm having the same problem trying to install either the 5.4. or the 5.5. Medit versions shipped to me recently with the latest Krystal board bought.

Also, you can't un-install Medit 5.4. once 5.5 was installed, because control panel calls them BOTH "5.4". Most of the README in both 5.4. and 5.5. applies to 5.4

I get the message each time "need a newer version of MTUMSND.VXD (or .386) and then "can't access Microsound device"

I tried this both with Win98SE as well as with Win ME (a clean install of it, not upgraded from Win98.)

Please tell me what to do-- it's useless as it stands now.

I also emailed Bryan to please send a fully patched version of
5.4 full, since all that was on the CD I got seems to be an upgrade version and has no help file or many other things.
But to date, no response.

I'd really like to get this working on either Win98SE or WinMe.

The computer in question is a Abit BE6-II m/board, Intel P3-500 CPU. After first trying to install Medit 5.4, you click on the Medit icon and the opening screen starts to display very briefly and then vanishes.

The setup/test utility in both the 5.4. and also 5.5 versions sent with the board do nothing-- the tests will not run at all.
The MTST301 and 301D programs do run and report no problems.
They install find the Krystal.

The Krystal itself is known good, since I swapped it into another machine which has one (Win98SE, Medit 54) and it works fine.

I must be missing something here. Please give me some help.

In the machine's BIOS, I reserved IRQ 9 for the Krystal and a check of Control Panel indicates nothing else seems to be trying to use that IRQ. The slot it's installed it was also verified as the only one on this m/board that can have an exclusive IRQ for it, the other PCI slots share IRQs with either the AGP or on-board contollers, etc.

Thx,

Rich

MTUSUPPORT October 7th, 2003 04:13 PM

Rich,
When you are stating that you get this error message, is this when you try to open Microeditor, by double clicking the Icon? Or is this when you are trying to isntall Microeditor 5.5? Microeditor 5.4 will run under 98SE or ME and 5.5 will only run under XP or 2000.

I know that if you try installing this under XP then you will get this error, just click Ok, then it will finish through the Install, then Reboot the system and it should work.

Let me know what you find.

Rich LePage October 7th, 2003 04:32 PM

Hi Bryan,
I'm seeing it with 5.4 and Win98SE. My concern is that the 5.4 sent on the CD with 5.5 and the last Krystal maybe isn't complete-- not sure. But I tried what you mentioned and got Medit briefly on the screen and then it went away.

I then did try installing 5.5 but that didn't work either, so I uninstalled it. I think a few places on the web site still state that 5.5 will run with Win 98, also-- you might want to check and modify if so. Gets confusing.

My worry is that there was a new VXD issued as a patch for 5.4 and I'm not sure that patch was in the 5.4 on the CD you sent, since it did not show up in the Medit54 installed directory.

Also the readmes and the help file were missing in the 5.4 package that came on the CD with the Krystal, making things a little more confusing! That was why I emailed you to request you send a complete version if possible.

By the way, I did get 5.4 running just fine with WinME on another machine-- but that one already had 5.4 on it under Win 98SE and I simply upgraded Windows-- but the problematic one is on another computer as I noted in the post.

Let me know what you think I should do. Thx. --Rich

MTUSUPPORT October 8th, 2003 11:09 AM

Rich,
There was only one version of 5.400. I am not sure what would cause this. I will send you an email with the file attached to see if that will work, I don't think it will make a difference though.

Rich LePage October 8th, 2003 11:22 AM

Will look for it, thanks Bryan.

But... there was more than one 5.4. I had first a beta one called 540, then a fix to that, then a "full release", then the update for the MTUMSND driver (a first version which did not work), then a second version which DID work. This was due to your need to solve the IRQ problem with several m/boards at the time.

And yet the one on the CD had NO mtumsnd that I could find,
no help file, and no notes file. Strange-- and the CD was only recently sent to me along with 5.5 and the most recent Krystal we bought.

MTUSUPPORT October 8th, 2003 12:02 PM

Rich,
I emailed you this file, so you should now have it in your email.

Rich LePage October 8th, 2003 03:29 PM

I got what you sent Bryan, thanks.

It still fails to work correctly. There also is no README in the package -- it comes up as a blank file.

I wiped everything off the machine in question and reinstalled WinME. I installed 5.4 from what you sent, and same result,
Medit flickers on and then goes away quickly.

After the first install, reboot and try to run Medit, but it advises no i/o module specified. However, it was installed as Krystal-only.

I installed it again over top of itself, and same result again.
It will attempt to give you the Medit screen and then quickly close it.

The slot the Krystal is in is set in BIOS to assign to IRQ9 (I also tried with IRQ 11) and IRQ steering is set off in Windows ME and also the "use bios" option is selected under Control Panel/Device Manager/ PCI Bus, as the Win 98 manual suggests.

So I'm a bit lost. The Krystal tests do not run at all, but since you changed the VXD, they don't run on any other machines here running 5.4 either. (function.tst and motherboard.tst). The 301 and 301D tests (DOS based) do run and indicate the motherboard is seeing Krystal and vice-versa. The board does also show in control panel, with the familiar yellow question mark because the m/media driver is not loaded.

MSNDSTAT says present but not functioning, error code 24

Any further advice? I'm convinced there may be things missing in the package, and that it's the same package that was on the CD. For sure the readme and help files are missing from both the package I got on the CD as well as the new package you sent -- which also leads me to think something else may be missing.

MTUSUPPORT October 15th, 2003 05:33 PM

Rich,
I have looked and I can't find any other versionf of Me 5.400. I Know the help files were not in the Installation, they were in a .zip file, so that was probably left off the disk since it is a seperate file.

I will try to give it a shot again, and see if I can find any other files that may work.