MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Singers & Hosts Wisdom (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Feat. Vs & (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=13695)

Roy Dennis October 18th, 2014 02:21 PM

Feat. Vs &

MTU recommendations has always been to enter file names as last name first name with & when a song has more than one singer.
Most download sites that I see always use Feat or Ft. It's the same now when you purchase standard CD none karaoke music.
Up until now I have always edited out the Feat for & for all my karaoke tracks. I still leave standard mp3 and video imports with the Feat.
Just wondering what others views are on this.

Skybird74 October 19th, 2014 11:49 PM

Re: Feat. Vs &

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Dennis (Post 122668)
MTU recommendations has always been to enter file names as last name first name with & when a song has more than one singer.
Most download sites that I see always use Feat or Ft. It's the same now when you purchase standard CD none karaoke music.
Up until now I have always edited out the Feat for & for all my karaoke tracks. I still leave standard mp3 and video imports with the Feat.

I have been replacing "Feat" with "&", also. It's simpler, less letters, and consistent with the way it has always been, so it's less confusing to have everything show the same way in the database & songbooks. I've been wondering though if it means the same. "Featuring" doesn't mean the same thing to me.:?

kod October 20th, 2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Dennis (Post 122668)

I do this both ways...

If it is a true duet, I use &.

If it is not a true duet, I use Ftg.

bryant October 21st, 2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kod (Post 122674)
I do this both ways...

If it is a true duet, I use &.

If it is not a true duet, I use Ftg.

Always use &, always better to be completely consistent, and"&" just looks plain neater.

Roy Dennis October 21st, 2014 11:19 AM

I think Kods idea could work quite well using ft. when the track has more than one artist name but is not a duet.
If you put an explanation in your songbook that if an artist is displayed as Feat, or Ft. that the track is not a duet it would help singers who want to sing a duet.
I downloaded Tim McGraw Feat Faith Hill - Meanwhile back at mama's" now this could appear to anyone searching the songbook that it is a duet but the part of Faith Hill is as a backing singer and is not highlighted as separate colour in the lyrics so as kod said is not a true duet.

The negative thing about this is I would have to edit all my songs :e

But if I was starting from scratch it might be a good idea.