MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Hoster Help (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   How to transfer database to second computer (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=17309)

Lloyd Te Kani March 21st, 2021 12:08 AM

How to transfer database to second computer

Hi guys. I need your technical expertise to remind me how to transfer my songs/singer database from my main laptop to my show laptop.

I\'ve done this many times in the past but have not been KJ for six years and need to duplicate my database from one to the other. Thanks in advance.

Lloyd Te Kani

WaltR March 22nd, 2021 08:03 AM

Re: How to transfer database to second computer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd Te Kani (Post 138074)
Hi guys. I need your technical expertise to remind me how to transfer my songs/singer database from my main laptop to my show laptop.

I\\\'ve done this many times in the past but have not been KJ for six years and need to duplicate my database from one to the other. Thanks in advance.

Lloyd Te Kani

Are you songs on a external drive or on your main C:\\ drive????

Lloyd Te Kani March 22nd, 2021 04:16 PM

Hi Walt. My songs are currently on internal C drive and I also want to change them from .kma to .kmh at your suggestion to save disk space.

Kind regards
Lloyd Te Kani

WaltR March 22nd, 2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd Te Kani (Post 138076)
Hi Walt. My songs are currently on internal C drive and I also want to change them from .kma to .kmh at your suggestion to save disk space.

Kind regards
Lloyd Te Kani

Since you want to re-index your songs as you mentioned on the other post, I would get an external hard drive and start your new indexing on that drive. I have several external drives. I have a very large data base and can\'t take the chance of losing all my DJ and Karaoke songs. All of my drives are identical so that I can use them with any of my computers that are running Hoster. So, I would recommend you always have a backup drive. You said you wanted to be able to run Hoster on your Show Laptop. Are you also going to keep Hoster on your current computer? I ask this because you need another license to install a second Hoster program on a second computer.

Lloyd Te Kani March 22nd, 2021 11:42 PM

Hi again Walt. I’ve used Hoster for some years now and as I’ve touched on in earlier posts I have needed to update my songs/singers database on a few occasions in the past so have two copies of Hoster on two seperate laptops. My problem is I can’t recall the steps I took, although I do recall it to be a relatively simple process. I guess it may have something to do with age and the 6 year gap since I operated as a KJ. While I currently use internal hard drives, I do have two external hard drives to use also. I hope this explains my current situation satisfactorily.

Kind regards
Lloyd T.

WaltR March 23rd, 2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd Te Kani (Post 138079)
Hi again Walt. I’ve used Hoster for some years now and as I’ve touched on in earlier posts I have needed to update my songs/singers database on a few occasions in the past so have two copies of Hoster on two seperate laptops. My problem is I can’t recall the steps I took, although I do recall it to be a relatively simple process. I guess it may have something to do with age and the 6 year gap since I operated as a KJ. While I currently use internal hard drives, I do have two external hard drives to use also. I hope this explains my current situation satisfactorily.

Kind regards
Lloyd T.

Ok, it sounds like you already have Hoster on your show laptop. So, if you want to duplicate that laptop with the other, do the following. Open Hoster on the first computer, top right under help, select backup/restore. The default will be to place the backup file in PROGRAMDATA folder but you can save where you want to, for example to a usb flash drive. Once you have done that open Hoster on your show laptop and again at the top righ select help and then backup/restore. Place the usb flash drive in your show laptop and access the backup file you previously saved but this time select restore. When it is done your show laptop will be the same as your other computer. One exception will be that any saved playlist that were on the show laptop when you started this procedure that weren\\\'t on the first computer will most likely still be there. This is the easiest way to do what you want. Now you need to address the songs database. I assume you don\\\'t have any or at least the same database on the show computer that is on the first computer. If not, you can delete the songs in the show computer and then copy the songs (in your case, the KMA files) from the first computer to the show computer.
You still will won\\\'t be where you want to be based on your earlier post. You wanted to re-index your songs. That is why I suggested doing this using an external drive. If you choose this you want to wait until the new song indexing is complete before doing the backup/restore that I explained above. Once again, if I haven\'t followed you correctly, advise.