MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Singers & Hosts Wisdom (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   What If? (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=10249)

CerealKiller July 5th, 2008 06:48 PM

What If?

What if something happens at your show and the place has to close early?

Do you give discount?

ddouglass July 5th, 2008 06:52 PM

No I don't. They contracted for a show and it isn't my fault that they had to close. I have had this happen at least once and they didn't even ask about a discount price for it.

Lonman July 5th, 2008 07:49 PM

I have had this happen a few times due to power outages, but the club always paid for the night anyway - they wouldn't actually close though, run off the generator to run the tills, soda fountains & ice maker, back up lights & candles handled lighting.
Never actually have had the show shut down early otherwise.

WDEWDAD7 July 6th, 2008 01:26 AM

While I agree that you should still be paid by the club owner in this case, I am on the fence with regards to weddings, parties and such. In my contracts, I ask for a non-refundable deposit in case THEY should cancel. However, an act of God argument could apply here. I thing I would agree to keeping the deposit and forgoing the rest of the money, in the event that the whole affair was canceled or had to shut down early. And.....if they asked for some sort of ....offset. They may not even ask. I know I do play over and extra sometimes for the club owners, so discounting my pay is not an issue. Daryl.

marklwood July 6th, 2008 02:23 AM

I know it's not a direct answer to the question at hand, but this winter we had some HEAVY ice storms here in the Midwest. We were out of power for a week. Luckily, I had a 5k generator at my house. I ran the karaoke setup, 1 beer cooler, the fan on the gas heater, and one drop light for each bathroom. I used my stage lighting to light the bar and cooked soup and chili in a crock pot. The whole neighborhood was there from open to close every night. My family was very understanding about daddy taking the generator to the bar and bringing it home at night to warm up the house. I will tell you this though, I made more lifelong customers in that one week than in the 10 years I have been the owner.

capnvic July 7th, 2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marklwood (Post 76585)
I know it's not a direct answer to the question at hand, but this winter we had some HEAVY ice storms here in the Midwest. We were out of power for a week. Luckily, I had a 5k generator at my house. I ran the karaoke setup, 1 beer cooler, the fan on the gas heater, and one drop light for each bathroom. I used my stage lighting to light the bar and cooked soup and chili in a crock pot. The whole neighborhood was there from open to close every night. My family was very understanding about daddy taking the generator to the bar and bringing it home at night to warm up the house. I will tell you this though, I made more lifelong customers in that one week than in the 10 years I have been the owner.

A few years ago.
I had to do a show during a snowstorm, that knocked out power and so forth. Amazingly we still had people show up, and my show went on and I got paid. In Virginia, people don't usually venture out in the snow even if its a dusting.

mindonstrike July 7th, 2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

If not for karaoke I would rarely go to a bar but this actually sounds kind of inviting.

Sam

ddouglass July 7th, 2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

We did the same thing after hurricane Rita blew through here. The power was out for three weeks that time. Fortunately the club had a backup generator. It wasn't real pleasant as the AC wasn't hooked up to it, but it took everyones minds off their troubles for a little while each night. The club also served free food every day to help get everyone by. We made a lot of friends during that time.

marklwood July 8th, 2008 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddouglass (Post 76641)
We did the same thing after hurricane Rita blew through here. The power was out for three weeks that time. Fortunately the club had a backup generator. It wasn't real pleasant as the AC wasn't hooked up to it, but it took everyones minds off their troubles for a little while each night. The club also served free food every day to help get everyone by. We made a lot of friends during that time.

After the first few days of me providing the free food, others started bringing in covered dishes to add to the mix. It was quite nice to see a neighborhood act like they used to in "my day". Some of these people lived right next door to each other and had never met. It is amazing how adversity can bring people together. Next week though, they will still flip you off in traffic.:)

madjim- with the Lord July 8th, 2008 09:01 AM

If it's a club that works me weekly (which is all of the clubs I work with right now :t) I'll give them a free night ONE TIME if it's needed. This has only come up once for me. The income I make in their clubs pays my bills :r plus I can deduct the cost of the night from my taxes as a promotion, like a charity gig. :w

Jim :g