MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Singers & Hosts Wisdom (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Search Option (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=11064)

mbyrd76 November 27th, 2008 12:13 AM

Search Option

I believe that the Search option in Hoster needs to be less sensitive. Example type happy and get everything with that in the name. Or is there a way for me to fix that.

bryant November 27th, 2008 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyrd76 (Post 86312)
I believe that the Search option in Hoster needs to be less sensitive. Example type happy and get everything with that in the name. Or is there a way for me to fix that.

What do you mean,....Exactly?:)

billyo November 27th, 2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyrd76 (Post 86312)

i guessed that's how it was set up, what i do was just i typed in the name of the artist,( most of my singers prefer to sing other artist version of the song) instead of typing in a word from a title. and i dont think theres a way to fix it.

marklwood November 27th, 2008 12:36 PM

The other thing I have noticed over the years is my own inconsistency in putting in titles. Also the song names are sometimes tricky or cute spellings. I try to think of a search as an absolute string. you can type any part of the string to find what you are looking for. For instance. Who knows how to spell Colbie Caillat? I remember her last name ends with a "t" but I can't remember how to spell it. In the search, I enter "t, Ca" that is enough to get me there. in titles, crying or cryin' is always a stumbler too so I would either just type "cryin", or use the other words in the string like "my eyes out" to find what I am looking for.

bryant November 27th, 2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marklwood (Post 86326)
Who knows how to spell Colbie Caillat? I remember her last name ends with a "t" but I can't remember how to spell it. In the search, I enter "t, Ca" that is enough to get me there.

I bet you'd never find it with that though, you may want to try "t, Co" , however. I see why you are having troubles.:t:):t

bryant November 27th, 2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryant (Post 86333)
I bet you'd never find it with that though, you may want to try "t, Co" , however. I see why you are having troubles.:t:):t

Actually, I do think the search option is fantastically accurate and very, very quick for me, as I use Marklwood's strategy all the time, i.e., pieces of words or combination of words in the middle of a song or name and ALWAYS get 'em the first time.

marklwood November 28th, 2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryant (Post 86333)

Nice:r:g

CerealKiller November 28th, 2008 08:30 PM

I like the search options for the reasons like "wherm I gonna live" for the longest time i couldn't emember how "wherm" was spelled so I just typed in "gonna L" Or stuff Like "leave the p" instead of leave the peices I tend to switch my I and E when typing. Maybe you should type in the artist for that song instead Like when i try to find "One" by metallica or "Walk" by pantera just take some time and figure out the best way to fing it. I wouldn't change that option for anything.

marklwood November 29th, 2008 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CerealKiller (Post 86392)
just take some time and figure out the best way to fing it.

How exactly do you "fing" it.:g:g

Lonman November 29th, 2008 05:52 AM

I have seen other programs that are a bit more leniant in the search. Like if you are looking for a specific song say Bette Davis Eyes - Juice Newton, you can type in Davis Juice & it will come up with that exact title/artist combo. Then others you don't have to have exact spelling. Like looking for Metallica, if you type in Metalica (missing an L) - it will still bring up Metallica.
I would love for Hoster to ignore punctuation like ' or , if looking for a song with don't, can't, etc.

Roy Dennis November 29th, 2008 09:02 AM

Hi Lonman
Yes with you all the way on this one.
Perhaps it should be in a new thread for New Features requests.:c

bryant November 30th, 2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonman (Post 86400)
II would love for Hoster to ignore punctuation like ' or , if looking for a song with don't, can't, etc.

esp. the in' for ing ones, like cryin', dancin', etc. there's a lot of 'em.

Roy Dennis December 1st, 2008 07:20 AM

It's the apostrophe's or inverted commas that get me.:f

RIKKI TIKKI December 1st, 2008 01:46 PM

Ive edited all mine out of the Hoster database, but leave them in for my book makin' program. My hosts get used to it, and with everybody texting now, half of my clients that dont see the punctuation marks dont realize that they are missing!:w

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke