MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Singers & Hosts Wisdom (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Warning about Pocket Songs (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=11408)

ddouglass April 7th, 2009 10:50 PM

Warning about Pocket Songs

This is from Pocket Songs:
Due to licensing restrictions, Pocket Songs now issues their discs IN CD format with NO ON-SCREEN LYRICS (NOT <!--VBCRLF-->CD+Graphics)

According to an E-Bay seller, Pocket Songs told them this:
Due to licensing issues, the manufacturer (Pocket Songs) of this disc advises us that this Disc is in CD Format - there are NO Graphics! This change is industry-wide, and karaoke fans can anticipate that most new discs will be issued without on screen graphics; and that most existing discs have been / will be re-issued without on screen graphics.

I don't think I believe that it is industry wide as no one else has changed their formats.

billyo April 8th, 2009 12:11 AM

that's kinda foolished for pocket songs or industry wide to do that, ( if it's true ) who's gonna buy those disc? and for the sake of conversation if this thing is true, would this be the end of karaoke, or are we stucked with the old disc...:?.or we gonna have to buy the disc while we can..

ddouglass April 8th, 2009 01:07 AM

My thought is Pocket Songs got in trouble over their own licensing and have decided to go this route. When Karaoke was young the lyrics were actually on paper instead of being graphically reproduced. Pocket Songs does provide the lyrics with the CDs on paper.

marklwood April 8th, 2009 02:51 AM

Can you say "MIcrostudio"?

madjim- with the Lord April 8th, 2009 03:33 AM

Pocket Songs are the most expensive karaoke disc I purchased for my collection, I only have a few. I figured they were charging more money to pay the royalties on the songs they produced as karaoke discs. I guess they were too busy lining their own pockets. :e

Jim :g

Lonman April 8th, 2009 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marklwood (Post 91525)

Exactly.

Funny thing is Pocket Songs started out on tape, then moved the catalog to cd. Then re-released their cd catalog as cdg. Now they are reverting back to cd only format? Don't matter, I never cared for the quality anyway. Seriously doubt it is 'industry wide'.

mindonstrike April 8th, 2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marklwood (Post 91525)

Are you sure you don't mean KHPro ?

If this were true I would think it would have been a rumor for several months before being implemented.

Could you post a link? I hunted all over pocketsongs.com and could find no such notice.

George April 8th, 2009 10:17 AM

Hey, there could be a pony under all that "stuff".

This should be a boon for the Karaoke Home Producer type product, with the industry, selling "backing tracks" in large quantities.

KJ's might not like it, but those using Hoster, and willing to create their own CDG's will have a big edge on those not willing to go the extra mile. Maybe the part timers and other non-professionals flooding the market will get out, resulting in the ability for the pros to charge higher fees.

Thought I'd better clarify that.

bryant April 8th, 2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddouglass (Post 91521)
This is from Pocket Songs:
Due to licensing restrictions, Pocket Songs now issues their discs IN CD format with NO ON-SCREEN LYRICS (NOT <!--VBCRLF-->CD+Graphics)

According to an E-Bay seller, Pocket Songs told them this:
Due to licensing issues, the manufacturer (Pocket Songs) of this disc advises us that this Disc is in CD Format - there are NO Graphics! This change is industry-wide, and karaoke fans can anticipate that most new discs will be issued without on screen graphics; and that most existing discs have been / will be re-issued without on screen graphics.

I don't think I believe that it is industry wide as no one else has changed their formats.

iT MAY JUST BE A MATTER OF INCREASED LICENSING FEES THAT THEY AREN'T WILLING TO PAY FOR.. yOU KNOW THE DRILL, CUTTING COSTS, ETC. PROBABLY AS A RESULT OF LOWER OVERALL SALES TO BEGIN WITH.

IT'S NOT A DUMB IDEA, THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD NO CHOICE.

OH, SORRY ABOUT CAPS.

George April 8th, 2009 11:02 AM

deleted

billyo April 8th, 2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 91529)
Hey, there could be a pony under all that "stuff".

This should be a boon for the Karaoke Home Producer type product, with the industry, selling "backing tracks" in large quantities.

KJ's might not like it, but those using Hoster, and willing to create their own CDG's will have a big edge on those not willing to go the extra mile. Maybe the part timers and other non-professionals flooding the market will get out, resulting in the ability for the pros to charge higher fees.

Thought I'd better clarify that.

you must have a lot of times on your hands, if you are willing/able to create your own cdg's..and i dont think the partimers and the non-pros are going away because of this...i only do karaoke for a hobby, i guessed you can call me a partimer:) and i'm not going away, i just don't do any kj right now , ( i gave most of my partime gigs to some of my kj friends who needs this more than i do ) i only do private parties for now and i also charge like other pros does ( who ever they might be )

ddouglass April 8th, 2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindonstrike (Post 91528)
Could you post a link? I hunted all over pocketsongs.com and could find no such notice.

On Pocket Songs click on any of there CDs and at the bottom of the page it lists the four types they produce and at the end of every description it says with no on-screen graphics. Obviously he isn't "advertizing" this so people who don't read the fine print will buy not realizing that there are no lyrics included.
The information I was quoting was from EBay on several of the Pocket Songs auction listings. I don't remember which seller it was. All I did was search for Pocket Songs and clicked on some of the items.

marklwood April 8th, 2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 91529)

Never mind the KJs. Imagine what this would do to the drunks :e:e:g:g:g

Lonman April 8th, 2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindonstrike (Post 91528)
Are you sure you don't mean KHPro ?

If this were true I would think it would have been a rumor for several months before being implemented.

I know there is scuttle on other forums that several Pocket Songs & Just Tracks discs are now containing some songs that list due to licensing, there will be no graphics or something to the effect.

mindonstrike April 8th, 2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddouglass (Post 91534)
On Pocket Songs click on any of there CDs and at the bottom of the page it lists the four types they produce and at the end of every description it says with no on-screen graphics. Obviously he isn't "advertizing" this so people who don't read the fine print will buy not realizing that there are no lyrics included.
The information I was quoting was from EBay on several of the Pocket Songs auction listings. I don't remember which seller it was. All I did was search for Pocket Songs and clicked on some of the items.

Every product I clicked on gave this notice

PLEASE NOTE:

Each JT album contains background tracks only: JT albums do not contain graphics

Each Pocket Songs PSCD album contains a complete performance with a professional vocalist as well as the karaoke tracks of each song,
for the at-home performer. PSCD albums do not contain graphics

Each Pocket Songs PSCDG album contains a complete performance with a professional vocalist as well as the karaoke tracks of each song,
for the at-home performer. PSCDG albums do contain graphics

Each JTG album contains only karaoke tracks. JTG albums do contain graphics

I could only find one song on a pscdg disk that explicitly said there were no graphics.

I still can't find the message you reprinted in your original post.

ddouglass April 8th, 2009 05:15 PM

Sam those both came from Ebay from a seller called Hip2Karaoke. Here is a link to one of them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-POP-FEM...d=p4634.c0.m14

Lonman April 8th, 2009 05:27 PM

But what would the legalities become if kj's started making their own lyrics swipes to music the manus couldn't license? The kj would be now construde as an illegal manufacturer as the sync rights were not opbtained, I would think.

George April 8th, 2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonman (Post 91550)
But what would the legalities become if kj's started making their own lyrics swipes to music the manus couldn't license? The kj would be now construde as an illegal manufacturer as the sync rights were not opbtained, I would think.

Good point...hadn't considered that.

I think KHP would still be the way to go for the private user, and increase MTU's market potential for that product.

ddouglass April 8th, 2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonman (Post 91550)

That is a good point. And since the courts have so far upheld the definition of Sync License for the lyrics on CDGs even though they don't fit the strict intent of the law, then the rest are going to have to pay the higher fee or go the same way Pocket Songs have. I hate to see it happen because it is a step backwards, but the music industry seems to be trying anything they can to shutdown karaoke producers or at least get more money out of them and ultimately out of us.

Lonman April 8th, 2009 06:19 PM

I was in KMart the other day just browsing their karaoke discs & came accross a Taylor Swift karaoke disc. Was thinking yeah I need a couple songs on the disc for requests & then noticed, the disc looked very much like the original cd. Went & got the original cd off the shelf & sure enough, it is a karaoke version made by the record company - complete album in cdg format. Too bad more record companies wouldn't follow suit, then they wouldn't have to worry about charging a second or third party, just do it themselves.

Side note - I just made VIP status with this post.....:g