MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Hoster Help (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Confusion: Legal purchases of collections (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=14450)

tune2at June 4th, 2017 08:16 PM

Confusion: Legal purchases of collections

Are CD collections from vendors at Amazon considered legal for professional gigs. I would like to start a data base with a broad base. Can I post the collection name and vendor here?

Roy Dennis June 5th, 2017 04:14 AM

Re: Confusion: Legal purchases of collections

Quote:

Originally Posted by tune2at (Post 130947)
Can I post the collection name and vendor here?

Yes.

tune2at June 5th, 2017 09:10 AM

Savvy Savers 2700 SONG SUPER COLLECTION Karaoke CD+G SET - Monster Hits 159 Disc Classic Rock, Pop,Country,Oldies+ OVER 2700 Professional Karaoke Songs. Are these legal to play?

tune2at June 5th, 2017 01:05 PM

I am also confused about licensing. Do I have to report to ASCAP & BMI? We do shows for private parties. So far it has been 2 shows in a small private club and one at a convention.
The shows have been two to three hours with 25 singers at the most.
I just googled the answer. Clubs and venues have to pay. Karaoke shows don\'t. So now If have a legally purchased set of CD+G songs I am cool?

Lonman June 5th, 2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tune2at (Post 130965)
I am also confused about licensing. Do I have to report to ASCAP & BMI? We do shows for private parties.

Yes all those discs are fine to play provided the PRO fees are being paid.
That being said, if the PRO fees are NOT being paid by the club/bar - then no those tracks (nor any other you may have - legally purchased or not) are legal to play.
In club/bar situations - you are absolutely NOT responsible for paying these fees (some bars will try to say those fees are your responsibility, do not get suckered) - however if the bar is not paying those fees, you \'could\' be named in a lawsuit as part of the bar if it got that far.

For private shows like in hotel ball rooms, event halls, churches, etc - you (or the party that hired you - just add it into the hosting fee and take care of it) would be responsible.
If they are like backyard party type shows at someones house, I wouldn\'t worry about it.

tune2at June 5th, 2017 05:41 PM

Could you explain PRO fees?

Lonman June 5th, 2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tune2at (Post 130978)
Could you explain PRO fees?

ASCAP/BMI/SESAC. PRO=Performance Rights Organizations.

tune2at June 5th, 2017 05:47 PM

Thanks again. How do I pay them? How much is it to host an occasional party? and who collects the money?

Thank you in advance as I\'m sure this has been answered before.

Tom

Lonman June 7th, 2017 06:01 AM

Each have a website, it would be more beneficial to contact each directly to find out costs and who to pay.
ASCAP is like under $20 if I remember, not sure what the other two charge for 1 off parties.