MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Singers & Hosts Wisdom (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Disc/Scratch Repair 411? (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=5387)

jahern March 8th, 2005 10:52 AM

Disc/Scratch Repair 411?

What do people use for disc/scratch repair. Motors, no motors, how much should it cost etc.?

bobcox- with the Lord March 8th, 2005 08:59 PM

Re: Disc/Scratch Repair 411?

i use nu-finish car polish works for me in most cases. Bob :)

DJYale March 9th, 2005 01:33 AM

I had someone tell me once to use colgate toothpaste, it has a very mild abrasive, and clean the disk using a circular motion.

I thought they were out of their gourd, why use an abrasive to clean a CD!?!?!?!?

But it did work!!!!

PastMember March 9th, 2005 03:00 AM

I have an $800 professional high-speed disc resurfacer.... serious machine here...

You can take a disc and bounce it off the asphalt like a frisbee and when I'm done with it, it looks brand new.

HOWEVER, scratches that are located on the lable side cannot be repaired, the data is in effect, gone for good.

jahern March 9th, 2005 02:08 PM

C. Staley I have an $800 professional high-speed disc resurfacer.... serious machine here...

Yeah. Why did you opt to go with the "serious machine" instead of one of these $50 motorized repair machines? Is it because of volume, or the cheap one just doesn't work, or ease of use? I walked around Fry's (an electronics store we have in Southern California) and the salespeople were not too sure about how good all the machines are. Of course they only sold the less serious gadgets.

Thanks for your responses so far. :)

George March 9th, 2005 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. Staley
HOWEVER, scratches that are located on the lable side cannot be repaired, the data is in effect, gone for good.

That brings up another reason to go Hoster if KJ'ing for a living.

It calls to mind a lot of discussion on the forums a couple of years ago regarding the constant wear that shuffling discs in and out of carriers was causing on the painted surface on Sound Choice discs, rendering them useless once the paint was completely eroded in spots.

George

PastMember March 9th, 2005 04:10 PM

Jahern said:
Quote:

Yeah. Why did you opt to go with the "serious machine" instead of one of these $50 motorized repair machines?
Because I'm a multi-op with a number of systems and for the first 10 years, ran off of discs... Talk about an investment! When I bought the original dk series 1-99 it was $3,995.00 for the entire set of discs... and I have a number of sets. (I think I still have about 4 UNOPENED SC8125's laying around too)

I've used the car polish method,

I've used the Disc Doctor,

I've used the $50 machines,

All with marginal results.

The machine that I use is amazing... and yes, it's a minimum of a 2-step process to resurface a disc (cd or cdrom) and a 3 or 4 step process if it is a DVD because they have to be absolutely "perfect" to be read in the player.

Lonman March 11th, 2005 02:57 AM

I have a can of Brasso. Best cd repair kit that many already have in their homes.

jahern March 11th, 2005 03:44 PM

Is Brasso a cleaner for brass?? Some of you are talking about cleaners but is the underlying idea that for disc repairs these cleaners "grind away" the scratch or something like that or just that they "clean" the disc?

George March 11th, 2005 04:03 PM

It appears the underlying idea is to buff out the scratch, but it would seem that over time, too much of that would also remove too much of the protective coating, unless the substance used had a siliocone base which would leave a bit of a clear film on the disc.

Been tempted to duplicate a disc, scratch it just enough to cause a glitch and then try using liquid glass stovetop cleaner, which does leave a durable silicone coating on the glass stovetop. Whether it would fill the scratch is the question.

Wonder how scratch resistant it would be to treat a new, unmarred disc with it.

Dunno, interesting. May mess around a bit.

George

Lonman March 13th, 2005 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jahern
Is Brasso a cleaner for brass?? Some of you are talking about cleaners but is the underlying idea that for disc repairs these cleaners "grind away" the scratch or something like that or just that they "clean" the disc?

It is designed for brass, but has multi purposes including plastic. I have saved many discs that were skipping or garbling graphics.

gduns - with the Lord March 21st, 2005 02:02 PM

I use the plastic polish you can buy at a motorcycle shop for plastic windshields. It comes in various grades, depending on how deep the scratch is. Just the plastic cleaner is good if there isnt much scratch as it does also contain an abrasive. This is a lot finer than brasso, and a pint going for about $2.95 will last for years in most cases.

Island Extreme January 18th, 2006 03:21 AM

the way to go

400 Karaoke Discs $8,780
7 Disc holders $69.95
professional high-speed disc resurfacer $800

Using hoster and never ruining your original disc.... Priceless