MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Singers & Hosts Wisdom (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Compact Portable setup? (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=13631)

Rockrz July 5th, 2014 03:47 PM

Compact Portable setup?
 
If you were going to say do a few performance gigs in an old folks home where a big, loud system is overkill (loud not allowed anyhow), what would be a good unit to look at?

I was thinking something that is a compact, all-in-one setup like VocoPro has or similar setup.

Since I've got music on the laptop, it would have to allow for being able to interact with that... and I guess it should have a way to pug in a flat screen for the lyrics and maybe a monitor.

Any suggestions on where to look for something like this?

kod July 5th, 2014 05:00 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockrz (Post 121273)
If you were going to say do a few performance gigs in an old folks home where a big, loud system is overkill (loud not allowed anyhow), what would be a good unit to look at?

I was thinking something that is a compact, all-in-one setup like VocoPro has or similar setup.

Since I've got music on the laptop, it would have to allow for being able to interact with that... and I guess it should have a way to pug in a flat screen for the lyrics and maybe a monitor.

Any suggestions on where to look for something like this?

I have two Powerwerkz PV 50 (50 watt) powered speakers that I use for a small setup. You can hook your laptop directly to them or use a small mixing board for more flexibility. You can daisy chain them together if you need more sound. They weigh ~12 lbs. each.

You also can hook a microphone directly to them. They have an awesome sound.

They will mount on a standard speaker stand, but you can buy some microphone stand mounts for them (that's what I use). However, I use a tripod microphone stand only as they tend to be a little top heavy!

I purchased them on eBay for $100 each as a pair ($200 total). (I also use them for monitors)

Rockrz July 5th, 2014 05:41 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
Well, that sounds OK but I was hoping to find a single box that isn't that heavy that contains the speaker, mixing board and have line out to be able to use a laptop as the music source.

I know VocoPro has some stuff like this but I was wanting to know which unit provides good quality. It wouldn't need to be really powerful cause high volume is not going to be needed like it would be in a bar or nightclub.

kod July 5th, 2014 08:49 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockrz (Post 121275)
Well, that sounds OK but I was hoping to find a single box that isn't that heavy that contains the speaker, mixing board and have line out to be able to use a laptop as the music source.

I know VocoPro has some stuff like this but I was wanting to know which unit provides good quality. It wouldn't need to be really powerful cause high volume is not going to be needed like it would be in a bar or nightclub.

I understand...

However, I purchased a VocoPro Jam Cube and was not satisfied with it. It was too heavy and did not give me the sound I wanted.

Good luck!

Rockrz July 5th, 2014 10:02 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
I've hear similar things... are there any other like products out there?

Roy Dennis July 6th, 2014 05:25 AM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
I have no experience with these products but have a look at the Behringer range of ultra portable systems:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Category...ms.aspx?s=L200

The EPA 300 or 150 might suit your needs.

The flat screen connection would normally be straight from your computers HDMI socket or whatever other video output you use.

Lonman July 7th, 2014 01:49 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
I'd probably opt for a Fender Passport system, Peavey Escort or Yamaha Stagepas for something like that situation.

smoky August 1st, 2015 07:46 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
Normally I use a 1000 watt Yamaha system with combined amp and mixer and very heavy Yamaha club speakers. But it is a real sweat moving this stuff around. This summer, while visiting in Colorado, I wanted a mixer to do some rehearsing in the motorcoach. I came across a lovely Alto ZMX-122FX mixer for around $100 new, while visiting the Fort Collins Guitar Center. What a great find. It even has all the FX sound effects. I use some vocal settings to add richness to singer voices.

After a few weeks of feeding my motorcoach sound system through this excellent lightweight mixer I realize that with a set of lightweight powered speakers I would have everything I need for small venues. Back to Guitar Center to look for a good match for the Alto mixer. One of the store employees uses the Alto mixer for his band with very good results. I asked him what powered speakers would be good for smaller venues. He recommended the Alto TX10 speakers. What a gorgeous sound. Every bit the quality of my expensive (and heavy) Yamaha system with its unpowered heavy speakers. Not quite the volume at 280 watts, but still good enough for the outdoor concerts my wife and I produce for about 250 size audiences.

I am planning to use this system for about 75% of my gigs. And lugging 15 pound speakers around is much easier on my body than my 80 pound speakers. Not to say carrying a simple 5 pound mixer with 8 channels and FX effects.

Love it

Smoky

Rockrz August 1st, 2015 10:07 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
You'll be missing out on a lot of good exercise.

Hope ya don't get all fat :g

Roy Dennis August 2nd, 2015 07:26 AM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
What about this new one Freeplay from Mackie:
http://freeplay.mackie.com/

Rockrz June 5th, 2017 10:05 AM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
I found it on Amazon and numerous folks there said the sound quality is not that great,

I\'ve pretty given up on finding something small that sounds decent

Of course it\'s hard to go out and buy different setups and try them so I guess I can only read reviews and go by those that have tried them

kod June 5th, 2017 12:37 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockrz (Post 130960)
I found it on Amazon and numerous folks there said the sound quality is not that great,

I\\\'ve pretty given up on finding something small that sounds decent

Of course it\\\'s hard to go out and buy different setups and try them so I guess I can only read reviews and go by those that have tried them

At 72 years old with back problems, I understand your weight dilemma...

As I posted earlier in this conversation, I have two Powerwerks PV 50 (50 watt) powered speakers that I use for a small setup. You can hook your laptop directly to them or use a small mixing board for more flexibility.

You can now also get these same speakers in 100 watt models. (Note: the same speakers are also made under the Kustom brand).

I recently purchased a Peavey PV6BT mixer ($159.95) that makes this an awesome small set up.

For a light weight but expensive option, the Bose L1 Compact (~$1,000 each) is awesome. I have 2 and get a lot of compliments on them. They allow me to do small to medium shows...

Lonman June 5th, 2017 04:24 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
Why not just use a small mixer like Yamaha, Mackie, Allen & Heath with efx built in, a dbx GoRack (for generic eq, compression and feedback aid) (these would just sit on a table including your computer) and a couple smaller powered 12\" cabs like the EV ZLX12P. Wouldn\'t be huge, could carry it all in the back seat of a car and would sound better (and not loud/overkill) than most things we all listed previously. T

kod June 5th, 2017 07:56 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonman (Post 130972)
Why not just use a small mixer like Yamaha, Mackie, Allen & Heath with efx built in, a dbx GoRack (for generic eq, compression and feedback aid) (these would just sit on a table including your computer) and a couple smaller powered 12\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" cabs like the EV ZLX12P. Wouldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t be huge, could carry it all in the back seat of a car and would sound better (and not loud/overkill) than most things we all listed previously. T

Apparently you have never heard the Powerwerks speakers. They have an awesome sound for the price. They are small and light weight to go with it...

They are the best sounding low cost speakers I have ever heard!

Lonman June 6th, 2017 05:03 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
I\'d have to disagree, they sound \'ok\' for the price, but nothing i\'d use really. Put them in the same class as Alto or Kustom pa stuff. Maybe good entry level stuff until you can upgrade.

kod June 7th, 2017 12:43 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonman (Post 131006)
I\\\\\\\'d have to disagree, they sound \\\\\\\'ok\\\\\\\' for the price, but nothing i\\\\\\\'d use really. Put them in the same class as Alto or Kustom pa stuff. Maybe good entry level stuff until you can upgrade.

I guess itís all a matter of opinion! I have set up two home systems with the PW50ís and they love them.

I have set up one system with the PW100ís for a friend that travels in a Motor Home and does shows at Campgrounds. He just got invited to do another show (over 200 people) this fall at one Campground, so I must not be the only one that likes them!

Of course they donít match the sound of my six QSCís or my two Bose L1 Compacts, but for the price, they all still awesome!

Lonman June 7th, 2017 01:22 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kod (Post 131029)
so I must not be the only one that likes them!

Of course they donít match the sound of my six QSCís or my two Bose L1 Compacts, but for the price, they all still awesome!

Again I said they sound ok for the price, not like crap or anything. Still nothing i\'d personally use.

I know kj\'s that use Gemini, Nady and Pyle speakers and think their sound is top notch - but in reality THOSE are crap and reflect it in the sound.

kod June 7th, 2017 07:37 PM

Re: Compact Portable setup?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonman (Post 131030)
I know kj\\\'s that use Gemini, Nady and Pyle speakers and think their sound is top notch - but in reality THOSE are crap and reflect it in the sound.

I agree with that!!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2009 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
The contents of this forum are copyrighted by Micro Technology Unlimited, 2000-2008. Use of any material from these Forums is prohibited without written agreement from MTU.