MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Singers & Hosts Wisdom (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Assuming a 4 - 6 hour new years eve gig, how much did you make? (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=9641)

bryant January 3rd, 2008 02:37 PM

Assuming a 4 - 6 hour new years eve gig, how much did you make?

I'm wondering if some of us should/could be charging more, or if some of us could/should be looking out for a better paying gig?

swany January 8th, 2008 09:27 PM

Mostly it's because of the area, we have a bunch of guys with two 15 inch speakers and a laptop doing DJ shows for $50 to $75 a night and a few of them do KJ with CAVS for the same money with both. They don't put on the show most of us in my area do and don't offer some of the extras we can, they do not update their KJ but keep up with the DJ by getting MP3 downloads and pirating from friends CDs. (Watched that one night) I do check out my competition, I don't rat them out, just figure it will happen but not by me.

I don't worry too much I have 4 shows and they were all busy on New Years Eve, at my regular spots. They have hired a few of the low budget DJs to try them out and have called me back.

nanakate January 9th, 2008 11:00 PM

New Year's Eve

Happy 2008, all!

I had to turn down 3 gigs that would have paid more becuz I was already committed at my usual kj gig & at only $25 more than the usual Fri. night pay. Everybody around my small town waits until a week or 2 before to try to book you. If you aren't already booked, you can get up to $250 for NYE from those last-minute bookings., but who wants to wait til the last minute and take a chance?

A normal 4-5 hr gig around here (rural central IL) nets about $125-$150. A wedding/special gig is anywhere from $250-$500, depending on how many bells and whistles your equipment includes (lights, smoke, etc.) and how long the gig lasts. I'm considering raising my price - I get $125 and free food/drinks now, but I don't drink and rarely eat while I'm at a gig. Not sure if a raise in fees will be accepted at my normal gig, but not sure if I mind not having to go there anymore, if you catch my drift. What's normal for your area?

I have another question too, if you don't mind. Do you guys do your own advertising, or do the hosts do that for you? My reg. gig doesn't believe in advertising - for anything - beyond my sign on the door. They also keep changing the dates on me, so it wouldn't do me any good to put an ad in the paper and then have them change it on me. They aren't very committed, but I have a good-sized following, so they don't want to give up the money I bring in. I don't want to sink alot of money in a once-a-month gig for them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kathi

nanakate January 9th, 2008 11:06 PM

New Year's Eve

Oops! Sorry

bryant January 10th, 2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanakate (Post 69487)
Happy 2008, all!

I had to turn down 3 gigs that would have paid more becuz I was already committed at my usual kj gig & at only $25 more than the usual Fri. night pay. Everybody around my small town waits until a week or 2 before to try to book you. If you aren't already booked, you can get up to $250 for NYE from those last-minute bookings., but who wants to wait til the last minute and take a chance?

A normal 4-5 hr gig around here (rural central IL) nets about $125-$150. A wedding/special gig is anywhere from $250-$500, depending on how many bells and whistles your equipment includes (lights, smoke, etc.) and how long the gig lasts. I'm considering raising my price - I get $125 and free food/drinks now, but I don't drink and rarely eat while I'm at a gig. Not sure if a raise in fees will be accepted at my normal gig, but not sure if I mind not having to go there anymore, if you catch my drift. What's normal for your area?

I have another question too, if you don't mind. Do you guys do your own advertising, or do the hosts do that for you? My reg. gig doesn't believe in advertising - for anything - beyond my sign on the door. They also keep changing the dates on me, so it wouldn't do me any good to put an ad in the paper and then have them change it on me. They aren't very committed, but I have a good-sized following, so they don't want to give up the money I bring in. I don't want to sink alot of money in a once-a-month gig for them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kathi

\
Those rates are quite similar to most, really close to those in Central Maine (poorest part of the country, really).

Generally, we expect the bar/nightclub/vfw/legion or whatever to do their own advertising. The only exception is if you are just starting there, you may make your own flyers and do a little boasting of what you offer over the competition. But basically, once you've been in a place a while, just keep telling your friends and ppl you meet where you are at and when.

gduns - with the Lord January 10th, 2008 01:19 PM

I had a Private Party for new years eve for a Endodontics Assoc. of 50 Doctors. they had around 200 guests. I was scheduled for 4 hours at $1500, and it went on for 8 hrs. Got a Great tip on this one. But this is not a usual bar gig. These guys only do this twice a year.

bryant January 10th, 2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gduns (Post 69502)
I had a Private Party for new years eve for a Endodontics Assoc. of 50 Doctors. they had around 200 guests. I was scheduled for 4 hours at $1500, and it went on for 8 hrs. Got a Great tip on this one. But this is not a usual bar gig. These guys only do this twice a year.

What kinda tip did ya get?
Were all envious by the way?

swany January 12th, 2008 04:03 PM

Far as advertising in concerned here is one thing I've done. Bought one of them Blue Tarp Banners, and put on Karaoke and DJ on and listed the days that the bar had it. The bar owner cannot move the day or the hour now. So there is one idea for you that works. Fliers work, especially in the local laundromats, party stores and supermarkets near large housing tracts such as a trailer park. I carry a small stapler and business cards plus fliers where I go. I've gotten a few weddings and general gigs that way. Nowadays I get more business from past clients than any advertising I pay for. Far as local bars, put on a KJ contest and call into the local radio station to announce it sometimes it's surprising some of the local DJs will write it down and mention it every so often. By contests I don't mean the pain in the rear big money things just the local bar, club give out gift certificates for their place we do a regular weekly one and they give out three $20 prizes a week. It is working. But then they run all their tap beer for $1 on KJ DJ nights. Plus food specials. Mostly anything will work if they keep the dates and hours the same.

kingjames January 12th, 2008 11:42 PM

new yrs

:c Normally I would never do new yrs for 250.00 But they comped everything including a room (on the river) right next door and didnt break down equipt. till next day. so job was a breeze. house seated about 60 (small piano bar upper class) much different than the bar gigs, but fun none the less. Hope all had a great and safe one, and a prosperous new year. Thanks to all for voting on these post it does help give a better perspective at least to me.

nanakate January 14th, 2008 01:53 AM

Thanks for all the helpful info, guys. I'm sure I could get more gigs if I did any advertising at all, but I haven't really tried yet. My boss was in charge of that and he's kinda been dropping the ball lately. (Got into a band and went back to school and decided karaoke wasn't worth the money). Now that I have my own equipment, it's time to get organized and get my own name out there, I guess. Like I said before, I'm in it for the fun, so I haven't done much yet.

I have 2 semi-reg gigs now. The first, my boss started 5 yrs ago, every Fri. night. I subbed for him regularly, then took over several yrs ago when he gave up on it. Since I divorced the owner's "best friend" last summer, they cut it down to once a month. They're the ones who keep changing the date. This month, it was becuz the cleaning guy didn't want to clean up 2 nights in a row. Last month, they needed to set up for a wedding rehearsal for the next day. I think most of the problem is that I'm too accomodating and let them get away with it. My regulars don't go out there unless I'm there, so they think they'll get more business if they have to come out every week to see if there's karaoke. They might get a few drinks out of it, but those people don't stay if I'm not there. Now, they call me first and don't go out at all.

The other gig is a fill-in when the other dj isn't available, usually at least once a month. They usually put an ad in the paper and put flyers up at least 2 weeks in advance. I do some birthday parties, private gigs and weddings too, but usually for friends or aquaintances. My boss usually took the high-paying jobs and gave me the left-overs. Even the ones I was allowed to take, he got most of the money. If I was lucky, I'd get half for a kj gig, and $150 for a $400 wedding gig, and I did all the set up and tear down too. I couldn't say much because it was his business and his equipment (except for the computer), That was the main reason I got my own equipment this summer. We're still on good terms, I just don't have to ask him before booking my own gigs now.

I know most of you are doing this for a business, not a hobby. I'll be reading your posts and learning from your experiences for awhile, I'm sure. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks again,
Kathi

goonie227 January 16th, 2008 07:45 PM

email

We do a monthly email to all our regulars and tell anyone at our shows that
they can get on the list. Free advertising! :) :)

Dick :g :w

nanakate January 16th, 2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goonie227 (Post 69748)
We do a monthly email to all our regulars and tell anyone at our shows that
they can get on the list. Free advertising! :) :)

Dick :g :w

Great idea! I'm making new cards with my email address on it anyway.
I'll just have them email me and let me know if they want reg. newletters.
Thanks! Kathi

wired2up January 18th, 2008 10:35 AM

Find a new gig

Nothing worse than a company taking advantage of the KJ host, if there buisness is that unstable than take your fans elsewhere, works for me.Billy-Bob:f
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanakate (Post 69487)
Happy 2008, all!

Thanks,
Kathi

madjim- with the Lord April 14th, 2008 03:26 AM

Bryant,
I was off this past new years eve and spent a wonderful evening with my wife alone at home. We had too much fun!

If I had worked New Years Eve I would've charged my ususal $300 in town or $350 out of town for a private party.

I appologize for the late response. :t

Jim :g

bryant April 14th, 2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madjim (Post 73285)
Bryant,
I was off this past new years eve and spent a wonderful evening with my wife alone at home. We had too much fun!

If I had worked New Years Eve I would've charged my ususal $300 in town or $350 out of town for a private party.

Good for you, Jim. I was kinda hoping for that too, but we both ended up at two different places, one was 300, and one was 350.

madjim- with the Lord April 14th, 2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryant (Post 73297)
Good for you, Jim. I was kinda hoping for that too, but we both ended up at two different places, one was 300, and one was 350.

A good payday is hard to walk away from. This was the first New Years Eve I've had off in more years than I can remember.

bryant April 14th, 2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madjim (Post 73298)
A good payday is hard to walk away from. This was the first New Years Eve I've had off in more years than I can remember.

We had one like that about three years ago, it was nice.

goonie227 April 29th, 2008 08:44 PM

NYE off

Quote:

Originally Posted by madjim (Post 73285)
Bryant,

We had NYE 2006 off first one in years we went out and listened to a band which is rare and had a great time letting someone else do all the work.
Dick:g :g

billyo October 12th, 2008 09:06 PM

i'm starting to get calls for the holidays, already got 2 set-up so far for x-mas and 1 for new years eve, and i've been charging them $ 450 for the x-mas and $550. for the new years eve since i have to travel 45.min. (been doing the same people every holidays) just djing, and thats from 9pm-1am..

bryant October 13th, 2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyo (Post 83857)
i'm starting to get calls for the holidays, already got 2 set-up so far for x-mas and 1 for new years eve, and i've been charging them $ 450 for the x-mas and $550. for the new years eve since i have to travel 45.min. (been doing the same people every holidays) just djing, and thats from 9pm-1am..

That's pretty good Billy. I still only get 350 for new years and 200 for karaoking at the regular place we do all year long. 1/2 mile from home and all equipment always all set up. 8pm to 1:30am on new Year's Eve.