MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Microstudio Help (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Error 0x80040702 Failure to load dll (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=11243)

monikascott January 31st, 2009 01:18 PM

Error 0x80040702 Failure to load dll

ok, I restored my computer (I have VISTA) cause Microstudio wouldn't work anymore and then I wanted to upgrade to the new version. Now I'm trying to install the old Microstudio AFTER I did ALL Windows updates (for the last 3 days) including Service Pack 1 and it came up with this error. Everything else installed just fine. Help please!!!

ddouglass January 31st, 2009 01:55 PM

This error usually means something for Vista (or XP) isn't loaded that the installer needs to complete the install.
Did you do all the Auto (Express) updates or the Custom Updates from the Microsoft Update web site? It needs to be all the software Custom Updates because the Auto ones are only the critical (as selected by Microsoft) updates. This does not include things like .net Framework and others.
Do not do any of the Hardware updates from there as those usually are not the current or correct ones for your system. Those would not cause this error.

monikascott January 31st, 2009 04:04 PM

Yes I did update over and over and over again... It seemed like every time I restarted my computer there were a few more updates to be installed... took me 3 days to get them all up to date.

ddouglass January 31st, 2009 04:17 PM

That would be the Automatic Updates. That isn't everything you need.
You need to go to your Start Menu and find either Windows Update or Microsoft Update in the list. If you can't find it there open Internet Explorer and under Tools look for Windows Update. These will connect you to Microsoft's Update web page. Wait for it to fully load and then look for Custom Updates and click on that. Microsoft will list what is available. Those are the updates you need. ".net Framework" is the most important one, because none of the MTU programs will load if it isn't installed on your computer.

monikascott January 31st, 2009 05:00 PM

did that

I actually did do that. I even remember downloading the update called framework. I didn't get my Service Pack 1 until I updated 73 files and then I had another 26 and in between I had one here, 3 there... I downloaded all critical or non-critical. dll would be a driver, but I'm not sure what I need to do to figure out what driver it doesn't want to load. Microstudio is the only one that doesn't want to install and where I get an error message. My sound still works (common problem when you update on vista), so I don't know what to do anymore. I re-checked to make sure I didn't have any more updates, but there really are no more.

monikascott January 31st, 2009 05:02 PM

Just thought I'd post what my computer said about the framework update. Is that what you were talking about?

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB929916)

Installation date: ‎1/‎28/‎2009 10:40 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain access to restricted data. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=91233

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

ddouglass January 31st, 2009 05:19 PM

You need to go back and check again, because there is also a version 3.0 with updates after that including a 3.5 upodate to it. As with the Auto update the Custom has to be checked several times too :fI got a brand new Dell laptop with XP and I think it took a week of daily updates to finally get it all....Microsoft has never learned how to bundle this stuff up correctly.
In the Error message does it say what DLL file it can't load?

monikascott January 31st, 2009 06:24 PM

I just went to microsoft, and downloaded their .net framework 3.5 plus service pack. still doesn't work. I kept trying to use their "manager" to get more optional updates, but it keeps telling me I'm all up to date. So that's why I went and just searched for the update and updated it myself.

The exact error message I get is:

Error Number 0x80040702
Failure to load dll:_isuser
Setup will now terminate

ddouglass January 31st, 2009 06:51 PM

Vista is a funny animal and it may be preventing this dll from loading in.
Try this first. Right click on the Microstudio installer file. Go to "Run as...." and set the file to run as administrator. Try installing. If this does not work go to next paragraph.
Try turning the UAC (User Account Control) off. Be sure you are logged in as an administrator. Then try installing.

monikascott January 31st, 2009 07:03 PM

I really appreciate your responses. Just so you know!!!

It's still not working. What gets me is that it worked fine when I first got this computer. Then it just quit working and now it won't even install. I was going to upgrade it today to the new version (it's the 2.113) and now I can't even get it to work to even do that. Grrrrr!... I didn't like Vista when I first got this computer and I'm still not a friend of it.

I ran a register edit program and it came back with several Install Shield problems. I hate fixing them though, cause last time I ran a program like that to fix stuff I totally screwed my computer up.

ddouglass January 31st, 2009 07:22 PM

Part of the problem may be that the version you are trying to install is not a Vista compliant version. That is probably why it stopped working in the first place. You may need to get a full price version. Submit a Support ticket to MTU and see if they can upgrade your Upgrade purchase to a full version (it is only $20 more right now). Submit the ticket to Sales.

monikascott January 31st, 2009 07:37 PM

I just submitted a ticket. Problem with that is that I wanted to upgrade the whole suite and that is quit expensive if I go with a whole new suite.

billyo February 1st, 2009 10:49 AM

there is a program called registry patrol,( http:/www.registrypatrol.com ) this will scan your entire computer and will tell you what & how to fix your ddl problem..

marklwood February 1st, 2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monikascott (Post 88932)
I just went to microsoft, and downloaded their .net framework 3.5 plus service pack. still doesn't work. I kept trying to use their "manager" to get more optional updates, but it keeps telling me I'm all up to date. So that's why I went and just searched for the update and updated it myself.

The exact error message I get is:

Error Number 0x80040702
Failure to load dll:_isuser
Setup will now terminate

Do a search for this file.
_ISRES.DLL
Tell me what the size and date of the file is.

Something else that was installed may have changed this file and made it unusable. That could be one cause of the error you are describing.

monikascott February 1st, 2009 08:31 PM

You know, I can't find either file. And yes, I did make it so I can see hidden and system files and extensions. My son is in the process of trying to locate the dll that I need to download without me having to pay for it. He's pretty good at locating stuff like that.

marklwood February 1st, 2009 11:15 PM

The fact that you didn't find either file is a good thing. I was asking about that file because usually during a failed install it will leave this file behind causing problem with future installs. This is a file that is created during Windows Install Shield Wizard. Lots of software uses this as an install. A messy use of it can cause other programs to fail install afterward.

Next, I would suggest to get rid of any temp files or directories. Any of the many free cleaners will do the trick or you can look through your drives for temp directories and files and get rid of them.

monikascott February 4th, 2009 12:03 PM

Ok, now I contacted sales (and explained my situation) and they told me to buy the upgrade after all. When I replied to ask them if an upgrade would work cause I can't install the older version I never got a response back. I thought the older version of the System Suite needs to be installed for an upgrade to work? :m

ddouglass February 4th, 2009 12:40 PM

Monika, I have found one more "fix" for you to try.:)
Find the setup file (Microstudio2113setup.exe) and right click on it.
From the list click on Properties.
When that opens find the Compatibilty tab and click on it.
In the Compatibility Mode block check the box and set it to XP.
Click OK at the bottom and then try again to install it.
Let's hope this is it.

When you "Restored" your Vista was this a complete reload (as in it reformated the drive) or did you restore back to a certain date/time?

I have one other possiblity that the Microsoft Install Shield may be blocking this and in that case there is a folder that will need to be deleted. The folder is {5543C9C8-4F56-4E84-BD4F-454942043964}. I'll explain more on this later if the above doesn't work.

monikascott February 4th, 2009 03:58 PM

thanks. I actually tried this in NT and it didn't work. Tried that just now in XP and it didn't work either.

ddouglass February 4th, 2009 05:24 PM

Ok.
Look in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information for a folder with the name {5543C9C8-4F56-4E84-BD4F-454942043964}. This is the Microstudio installation information folder. Delete this folder and try installing again.