MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Singers & Hosts Wisdom (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   New Trailer (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=9308)

goonie227 September 13th, 2007 08:48 PM

New Trailer

:? We just bought a new trailer instead of the back of the pickup with cap
it sure is going to be nice, question should we have it lettered.
I have two cop friends who tell me not to because everyone will know
what is in it if it is lettered?
Dick

muzicman144 September 13th, 2007 09:22 PM

New Trailer

On one hand, it's good advertisement for your business, and on the other, good advertisement for the thieves. Either way, i would suggest good insurance and don't worry.
:g :g :g :g :g :g
muzicman

mindonstrike September 13th, 2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goonie227 (Post 65762)
Dick

I would agree with your cop friends. That's the main reason I've never lettered my van. In fact if I were to letter it, it would probably say "Wicker Basket Supply Co" or something similiar just to make it more unattractive to potential thieves.

Sam

madjim- with the Lord September 14th, 2007 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindonstrike (Post 65766)
In fact if I were to letter it, it would probably say "Wicker Basket Supply Co" or something similiar just to make it more unattractive to potential thieves.

Sam

When I was working with road bands the most creative thing I saw was a band trailer marked like it contained hazerdous material. I also saw one marked like it had poisonous reptiles in it.

Jim

bryant September 14th, 2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madjim (Post 65776)
When I was working with road bands the most creative thing I saw was a band trailer marked like it contained hazerdous material. I also saw one marked like it had poisonous reptiles in it.

Jim

This would surely be a magnet for the future "Darwin Award" winners, however.:t

Lonman September 14th, 2007 04:58 PM

My friend that dj's has magnetic signs that he had made. Puts them on for the shows they are at & takes them off when he gets home.

goonie227 September 15th, 2007 12:38 AM

Lettering

Thanks Guys
Sounds like you all agree no lettering:) :)

billyo September 17th, 2007 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goonie227 (Post 65762)
Dick

i got a toyota tacoma truck with a top caused i dont carry that much gears, just 2 mackie powered speakers , and a 19x36 dj coffin that i built myself ( housed my laptop, mackie dfx12 mixing board ,and hardrives ) and a gear bag for my cables and small road ready case for my mics..and my cart, takes about 10 min. to load and unload, so when i get done at night i just unload my gears in the garage and i dont have to worry about my stuff getting stolen.....i rent a trailer for about $25, if i have to do big jobs to carry the rest of my gears that is in my garage ..cheaper than buying one for about $1500.lettered or non lettered if thieves want to steal your stuff, they might take the trailer all together..

goonie227 September 18th, 2007 05:32 PM

Truck

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyo (Post 65875)
i got a toyota tacoma truck with a top caused i dont carry that much gears, just 2 mackie powered speakers , and a 19x36 dj coffin that i built myself ( housed my laptop, mackie dfx12 mixing board ,and hardrives ) and a gear bag for my cables and small road ready case for my mics..and my cart, takes about 10 min. to load and unload, so when i get done at night i just unload my gears in the garage and i dont have to worry about my stuff getting stolen.....i rent a trailer for about $25, if i have to do big jobs to carry the rest of my gears that is in my garage ..cheaper than buying one for about $1500.lettered or non lettered if thieves want to steal your stuff, they might take the trailer all together..

Bought the trailer so I didn't have to depend on my 94 chevy w/cap w/170,000 I can tow the trailer with it or My Wifes Bravada. Truck is getting tired and with the new roof and daughters school new truckis out of the mix.
Dick

swany September 28th, 2007 12:05 AM

All my trailers have lettering, I've researched having laser cut special logo lettering and just plain block letters from Menards, guess what? It's easier to read plain block letters. Insure it, make all your equiptment have wheels, if you bought a drop tail gate trailer add a strip to the gap in between the gate and the floor when it is down with a few door hinges anchoring it to the floor, add another strip anchored to the top of the gate with hinges so you have a ramp closer to the pavement when you are loading and unloading. If you have doors, add the largest piece of custom width 3/4 plywood that will fit in the opening hinged to the floor of the trailer with at least 4 barn hinges as large as you can stand them. Taper the plywood to get it close to the pavement, and taper the other end to eliminate the sudden drop or abruptness when unloading. Add a 2X2 glued to each side for guides and added strength, paint and while the paint is wet broad cast some bird gravel to the ramp for traction. If you made it wide enough and planned proper, when it is in the upright position, you can add couple of simple door bolt style latches by drilling a 5/16 hole in the door frame to hold it in place while moving simple screws attaching it to the bottom of the ramp.

Bottom line is the lettering on my trailers and my tow vehicles is tax deductible and has got me gigs with cheap advertising more than making up for the insurance for trailer and content. I have block lettering on my tow vehicles, and trailers. I have had people pull into my yard get my card because my trailer set in my yard and that has generated more than one wedding gig paying well. I have been stopped in a shopping mall parking lot more than once and gained a gig because my vehicle was lettered. I guess I'm lucky I live in the boonies from the responses I am hearing. At any rate, learn to use your trailer slash storage barn to it's utmost and enjoy it. Menards also have the anchors for your trailers walls, and rope style tie downs for your equiptment. Get the longer flat head bolts than needed then cut them to length after.