MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Singers & Hosts Wisdom (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Problems getting display to monitor from laptop (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=8653)

cdtoons March 20th, 2007 02:11 PM

Problems getting display to monitor from laptop

I just got my laptop and am having a hard time getting a signal to the bigscreen I use at the bar. I tried changing display settings to no avail....Help?

ddouglass March 20th, 2007 02:58 PM

First question is does your laptop support extended desktop? If so do you have it setup the way the manual tells you? And is the TV turned on and hooked up before you turn on the laptop, so laptop won't revert back to 1 screen?

cdtoons March 20th, 2007 03:53 PM

Laptop

Douglas, This is Rex Newport, You can look on my order and see...I got it about early Feb. The big screen is turned on when I start up my laptop. I am using s-video all the way. I just followed the instuctions to change things however I am away from the bar. I will try tonite...Rex

ddouglass March 20th, 2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdtoons (Post 60750)
Douglas, This is Rex Newport, You can look on my order and see...I got it about early Feb. The big screen is turned on when I start up my laptop. I am using s-video all the way. I just followed the instuctions to change things however I am away from the bar. I will try tonite...Rex

Rex,
No I can't look on your order, because I am not an MTU employee. I am just a customer like you. :g But if you bought the laptop from MTU then it has the capability to do extended desktop.
Also make sure the TV is set for the S-Video input and not on regular channels. If all that doesn't work I would suspect the S-video cable may be the wrong kind. There are 2 versions of S-video (4 pin and 7 pin).

bryant March 21st, 2007 11:38 AM

I know the physical difference, but exactly why and what are the other pins for and what do they do that the 4pin are not doing?
Does anyone know?

bobcox- with the Lord March 22nd, 2007 11:12 AM

7 pin is s-video/tv it has a composit signal for tv out.
4 pin is s-video only, no composit signal.
so if your computer has 7 pin you can use a 4 pin or a 7 pin adaptor to rca for composit signal.

bryant March 22nd, 2007 12:48 PM

I guess my question now is:
When is there ever a 7-pin receiver on the other end?
In all cases I've experienced, a 4 pin adapter was required?

gduns - with the Lord March 22nd, 2007 04:53 PM

with 7 pin s-video you can attach a splitter, and you can have video in as well as video out. My hp has this. with 4 pin s-video it is only video out.

billyo March 22nd, 2007 10:52 PM

you can get a 7 pin to rca from www.s-video.com both of my laptops have a 7 pin i used to used an adaptor that cost a lot of money , bought the 7 pin to rca for a fraction of the cost of the adaptor and it work excellent.. ( this is by no means endorsing a co. ) just trying to help..