PDA

View Full Version : what a dissaster as songs disappeared - caused by HDD bad sectors, fixed successfully

billyo
October 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM
did my show last night, and i was so frustrated,i've been using the same main laptop for a while now, and last night for some reason everytime i clicked on song title something else comes up..not just one song, but a few of them..would merging kma files create this problem?..i'm going through each one of my kma files right now, trying to edit some of those songs..but i'm not sure how many of them are..any suggestions.? anybody:?

mindonstrike
October 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM
did my show last night, and i was so frustrated,i've been using the same main laptop for a while now, and last night for some reason everytime i clicked on song title something else comes up..not just one song, but a few of them..would merging kma files create this problem?..i'm going through each one of my kma files right now, trying to edit some of those songs..but i'm not sure how many of them are..any suggestions.? anybody:?I had a similiar problem a few years ago, the database became corrupted. Delete or change the name of Songs.mdb to something else and then change the name of Songs Backup.mdb (I think that's what it is named) to Songs.mdb. If that fixes it then the database became corrupt, if it doesn't then it's something different entirely.

Also if you have Access from Microsoft you can open Songs and take a look that way.

Sam

ddouglass
October 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM
thanks for your reply, but the thing was i really dont used the book id's always use the song title. or artist..i am still in the process ( searching ) of going through each one of the brand names and i found out that some songs that i imported before these happened was missing..ie..cb60363 instead of having all the tracks it's only showing 2 imported songs..i started this morning and its now 3am..so i'll have a long day/night ahead of me..unless you have a better suggestion..i will appreciate it very much.. thanks
If that is the case then the database is probable corrupt. If switching to the backup copy doesn't work try deleting both and rebuilding it. That should pick up the missing songs.

ddouglass
October 14th, 2007, 10:10 PM
i did that too Dale, just looked at my hardrives, and the tracks are not there jus like this one im doing now spc 01 supposed to have 18 tracks on em..its only showing 1 ( tr.18 ).so i am re-importing it.. (this is a nighmare )..guessed i have no choice but to re-import as many disc as i can.till my next show which is friday..( some songs are not missing it's just they're mis-titled ) i dont know how that happened , been using this laptop for a while now..just happened last friday.but anyway thanks for you suggestions..i do appreciate it
You better run a Checkdsk test on that hard drive becaus e it sounds like it is flaking out on you. Since it is external, it won't cause your system to crash, but it can certainly lose files, mess up files, and cause havoc.

admin
October 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
You better run a Checkdsk test on that hard drive because it sounds like it is flaking out on you. Since it is external, it won't cause your system to crash, but it can certainly lose files, mess up files, and cause havoc.
We are all sad to hear this has happened.

There are many posts in these Forums that clearly warn you need to make a backup copy of your Hoster KMA songs. This is the reason why. :s

I agree with Dale. A drive going flakey is the only way I can think of that files can disappear.

Merge Songs will not cause this problem.

Rebuilding your Database should correct any problems like this IF... the database becoming corrupted was the problem. If not, your Hard Drive (HDD) is failing.

IF your HDD is failing, DO NOT continue to use it. You can make it worse, and if you write anything to it, you can wipe out untold numbers of songs, especially if the drive index is going flakey. Make a backup copy of this drive, then run Check Disc and defrag it also.

billyo
October 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM
We are all sad to hear this has happened.

There are many posts in these Forums that clearly warn you need to make a backup copy of your Hoster KMA songs. This is the reason why. :s

I agree with Dale. A drive going flakey is the only way I can think of that files can disappear.

Merge Songs will not cause this problem.

Rebuilding your Database should correct any problems like this IF... the database becoming corrupted was the problem. If not, your Hard Drive (HDD) is failing.

IF your HDD is failing, DO NOT continue to use it. You can make it worse, and if you write anything to it, you can wipe out untold numbers of songs, especially if the drive index is going flakey. Make a backup copy of this drive, then run Check Disc and defrag it also.

thanks for your reply..i just did a chkdsk and one of my drives has a bad sector thats been corrected..and hopefully this will fixed this problem..ill do a rebuild on my song dabase next..i'm still re-importing cdg's on my back-up laptop just incase..i know that i can not open hoster at the same time so as soon as i get a few of them imported i'll rebuild ..again thanks for your helped..i do have a back-up copy of my kma files..it's just they are all in diff. drives i have about 6 hhd, ( slim design hhd)

billyo
October 15th, 2007, 10:10 AM
it worked !!! doing the checkdisc, deleting and rebuilding my songdata base i now have the tracks that i was missing and mistitled songs are corrected..thanks guys for all your helped.!!! i'm happy as a lark !!!!

ddouglass
October 15th, 2007, 02:41 PM
it worked !!! doing the checkdisc, deleting and rebuilding my songdata base i now have the tracks that i was missing and mistitled songs are corrected..thanks guys for all your helped.!!! i'm happy as a lark !!!!
I am glad that did it. Now since it has come up with a bad sector (probably in the index) I would check it frequently to make sure nothing else is going bad. Hard drives actually have 2 index files so usually if something happens to one the backup can restore the primary by using checkdsk to move and rebuild it.

billyo
October 15th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I am glad that did it. Now since it has come up with a bad sector (probably in the index) I would check it frequently to make sure nothing else is going bad. Hard drives actually have 2 index files so usually if something happens to one the backup can restore the primary by using checkdsk to move and rebuild it.

i think i have it set up as to when i turned my laptop on, ( main and back-up) it automatically does the checkdisc..but anyway thanks for all your helped..:g

hwheeler43
October 16th, 2007, 09:55 AM
:c Not telling you what to do, but I would copy that kma folder to another drive as soon as possible..

billyo
October 16th, 2007, 03:04 PM
:c Not telling you what to do, but I would copy that kma folder to another drive as soon as possible..

i do have a back-up copy of my kma files, its just they are all on diff. drives ( 6 slim design hhd )..i will be getting another drive as a master drive, just have to go over all my kma files and delete some of those that has scrambled graphics..and duplicate ones,thanks for your suggestion..

admin
October 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
It's always good to hear the suggestions here have solved the problem.

As an MTU employee, I'm releaved to hear it was not Hoster that caused the files to disappear. One never truly knows until the final cause surfaces. We're rejoicing with you too! :)

billyo
October 16th, 2007, 07:05 PM
It's always good to hear the suggestions here have solved the problem.

As an MTU employee, I'm releaved to hear it was not Hoster that caused the files to disappear. One never truly knows until the final cause surfaces. We're rejoicing with you too! :)

thank you very much for all your helped...you guys are the best !!!!